FIT Any studies on too much omega 3 (omega 3 to 6 ratio)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aez

Apr 12, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
Hi,

So basically my diet is pretty strict high protein, frequent meals a day ect.

I supplement with alot of omega 3 cod liver oil as healthy fat (10g omega 3 with epa /dha per day) the thing is if I don't supplement with omega 6 GLA (not much, around 200mg GLA) evening primrose oil I get severe mental health problems, anxiety, nervousness over nothing, insomnia. It's pretty serious.

So basically, are there any studies or articles out there I could learn from outside my own experiance? I've read the body requires both as polyunsaturated fat and an omega 3 to 6 ratio but most stuff I've read about is too much omega 6 very little about too much omega 3.

Thanks

Ep

Well anything in excess can be bad for you but the chance of taking in too much Omega 3's is pretty slim so I wouldn't worry about it.

I actually read in a couple of places that Western diets have high levels of 3's and too low for 6. You get omega 3's from eggs, fish and meat.

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
Well anything in excess can be bad for you but the chance of taking in too much Omega 3's is pretty slim so I wouldn't worry about it.

Didn't someone just post a study here linking high levels of DHA with aggressive prostate cancer in men? I know that's not omega 3, but typically fish oil supplements have lots of DHA in them too.

GTLifter

Banned
Feb 28, 2005
Durty Durty ATL Niggah

Conversely, the study also found that men with the highest blood ratios of trans-fatty acids -- which are linked to inflammation and heart disease and abundant in processed foods that contain partially hydrogenated vegetable oils -- had a 50 percent reduction in the risk of high-grade prostate cancer

so hydrogenated oils are now good for you? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

the source of the article:
Soyatech's eNews reports on:
  • New soyfood products, nutrition research and market trends
  • Soy- and oilseed-derived food and nutritional ingredients
  • Oilseed crushing & refining
  • Agricultural biotechnology and seed breeding
  • Biofuels, polymers and other oilseed-based industrial products
  • International trade and transportation
  • Oilseed production

yea...looks just a tad bit biased to me...

BigBlind

There is only one way to become champion; never fu
OT Supporter
May 17, 2007
Asgard
maybe you should stop supplementing if you are just rebalancing the ratios

the whole point of omega 3s is that you are fixing the ratios, not that you should take a bunch then take some more of something else so the ratio goes back to where it was before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterparl19