Any way I could Re-wire this aids-tier motion sensing light to always stay on? v.wiringandshit

Polish

OT Supporter
Nov 10, 2003
Bay Area, CA
It is a cheap motion sensing light, the only on/off is the motion sensor. It barely works. Could I solder some of these wires together to always stay on? Don't know what to try :hs: :o

iT5vm60.jpg

0Dar9Mt.jpg

IDMO

OT Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
St Pete
Put a desk fan on oscillate so it keeps moving and then the sensor will always see motion. Hackerman

edit: this is a more elegant solution than some common pinwheel

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
Someone explain to me why the motion sensor has PWM? Think the light dims on/off, or is there another reason for a motion switch to have PWM?

Reactions: Polish

jsilas

OT Supporter
Sep 9, 2006
PNW
PWM sensor output can help to avoid current surge which can damage LED light fixtures.

If you want to disable the sensor, just bypass it. First, use a meter to test the red/black circuit on the sensor. Then, test the white/black circuit on the sensor while tripping the motion sensor. If the voltage on red/black is the same as white/black (while the sensor is being tripped) then just cut the red/white wires off the sensor board and jump them together to test. If this proves effective, then to do a cleaner installation, simply desolder the 3 sensor wires from the mainboard, then solder a jumper across the VIN/PWM pins (again, on the mainboard).

DISCLAIMER: If you burn your entire house down trying to achieve this outcome, don't come crying to me. I'm not liable for shit you decide to do. This is just what I would do if it was mine.

Last edited:

Public Enemy Rated R

Sexobsessedpussylovinman
OT Supporter
Oct 26, 2003
SE Michigan
PWM sensor output can help to avoid current surge which can damage LED light fixtures.

If you want to disable the sensor, just bypass it. First, use a meter to test the red/black circuit on the sensor. Then, test the white/black circuit on the sensor while tripping the motion sensor. If the voltage on red/black is the same as white/black (while the sensor is being tripped) then just cut the red/white wires off the sensor board and jump them together to test. If this proves effective, then to do a cleaner installation, simply desolder the 3 sensor wires from the mainboard, then solder a jumper across the VIN/PWM pins (again, on the mainboard).

DISCLAIMER: If you burn your entire house down trying to achieve this outcome, don't come crying to me. I'm not liable for shit you decide to do. This is just what I would do if it was mine.

I'd risk dismemberment or death trying out your solution.

• Love
Reactions: Simius The Monkey

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway

If you don’t have a voltmeter u can just lick the leads to check, if it tickles you got the right one

TS
TS
Polish

Polish

OT Supporter
Nov 10, 2003
Bay Area, CA

Trying this when I get home :x: :x: :x:

TheRider

Geeky
OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2002
San Diego
Clip off sensor side - strip and use a twist type connector on white and red. Attach black to a metal screw or other ground somewhere. Cleaner look - as mentioned above just jump a wire across those two after removing the old ones

DizzyEdge

Vax me Trudaddy
OT Supporter
Dec 16, 2007
Calgary, AB
First question: if it's modded to always stay on, is there any way to cut power to it? Like is it hardwired to the house where only a breaker would then be able to used to turn it off?

If it was me I'd try to get rid of the whole sensor system completely. What I mean is instead of faking that the sensor is always seeing motion, just get rid of anything that even relies on the sensor, just have power -> transformer -> LED -> ground and solder in some kind of switch somewhere in that circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan