Anybody ever clear roots out of a sewer main line?

turbo35

haters gonna hate
May 8, 2001
Seattle-ish, WA
Had a guy out about 18 months ago, found roots about 40' out (near the property line, where our pvc main merges to a concrete pipe.) Cleared the line and haven't had an issue till today. Found a first-time customer coupon back then so it was under $200 (they wanted to sell us like 8k in repair work.)

Fast forward to today, main's backing up again. I found one dude that will clear it for under $500 but he's booked out a week, all the big places want 900+ to hydrojet it. My uncle (a plumber and contractor) says I should rent a power snake for like $100 and do it myself.

Anyone ever do this? Please regale me with stories of losing your hand and/or getting expensive equipment stuck 40' down a pipe :hsd:

monolith

Hey, Herbie! How's life? Taking forever.
OT Supporter
May 9, 2004
Virginia
What’s that saying? Leaving plumbing and electrical work to experts or something like that.

Reactions: horus

B-Line

*****d[-_-]b*****
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
Fucking sucks. Ask me how I know.
Just call a pro, unless you know how to take a toilet seat off, replace the ring, snake it, etc.

TS
TS
turbo35

turbo35

haters gonna hate
May 8, 2001
Seattle-ish, WA
Fucking sucks. Ask me how I know.
Just call a pro, unless you know how to take a toilet seat off, replace the ring, snake it, etc.
I've done all that, this is roots 40' down the main tho. Totally different than replacing a toilet and clearing a drain.

Also, I totally had flashbacks of your rental thread when I heard the tub gurgle :rofl:

TS
TS
turbo35

turbo35

haters gonna hate
May 8, 2001
Seattle-ish, WA
I bought a cheap snake and used it successfully four or five times.

Then I got the fucker stuck, could not get it out, and called a plumber.
I could tell he felt very good about himself.
I've only had one issue where I couldn't clear the drain, but it turned out the shit was completely internally corroded and needed a bunch of shit replaced. I handed them money and thanked them. :o

TheEvil1

Hell is other people
OT Supporter
Jul 4, 2003
WNY
I've only had one issue where I couldn't clear the drain, but it turned out the shit was completely internally corroded and needed a bunch of shit replaced. I handed them money and thanked them. :o

this is what happened to me, got it bored out once then the 2nd time a piece of the pipe (cast iron) was bent in preventing going foreward

i paid them a lot of money to dig up my yard in the middle of the winter

Reactions: Xicculus

wildflower

OT Supporter
May 17, 2002
No place for older men
The reason I bought the snake in the first place - had a guy come to the house because I had a clogged toilet. Instead of snaking it out, he sends a CAMERA about 40 feet down the pipe and says "See that? That's a crack. We need to dig up your lawn and replace everything to the main."

I looked at the monitor and it was like looking at clouds where you think - oh, that one looks like Beethoven's head, and that one looks like a sheep.

TS
TS
turbo35

turbo35

haters gonna hate
May 8, 2001
Seattle-ish, WA
this is what happened to me, got it bored out once then the 2nd time a piece of the pipe (cast iron) was bent in preventing going foreward

i paid them a lot of money to dig up my yard in the middle of the winter
Luckily this was just internal piping, but I couldn't take the time off work and it had to happen asap (kitchen sink, wife would have killed me.) I forget how much but $1200-1500 or so iirc and they replaced all the old piping. I was over a barrel and they were gentle.

Reactions: Xicculus

ERock

I'm not a cat
OT Supporter
Jan 9, 2002
SoCal
Since we are on the topic of plumbing... Woke up to low water pressure and opened the front door to a flood yesterday.
IMG_20201207_070340.jpg

Feed line going to my backyard sprinklers burst in my flower bed (ivy).

I have a separate shutoff for irrigation. Was able to shut off. Last night after work I dug up the area with a headlamp on and found the leak. Should be an easy fix.

• Wow
Reactions: Bugalu and turbo35

ERock

I'm not a cat
OT Supporter
Jan 9, 2002
SoCal
When my mainline collapsed then backed up we had the black death come up the drains and fill up the shower and tub :hs: :barf:

Reactions: Good Ol' Gil

riznat

OT Supporter
Mar 29, 2011
A tub gurgling would scare me to death.

My tub has started doing this in the last few months :( with some water and bits of... who knows what (probably just roots/dirt... hopefully) seeping into the tub and toilets. Called a plumber out, he ran one of these rubber bladder things with a hose and it cleared it
51SPa6jIQwL._AC_SS350_.jpg

So i thought ok cool, ill just get one of those for like $30 and just clear it myself next time, it always seems to help but the drain is getting backed up on like a weekly basis now, have to be really careful when running the washing machine, and giving lots of time to drain. Was hoping i was going to avoid some plumbing nightmare but pretty sure I need someone to run a scope and figure out wtf the problem is to get this fixed for good. Doesnt help that we have a billion giant pine trees on our property.

Kind of want to wait it out and just sell the fucking house lmao but we can't just let it be like this.

• Sad
Reactions: michael and turbo35

wildflower

OT Supporter
May 17, 2002
No place for older men
Maybe I've just lived in decrepit shitholes for the past 15 years, but let's just say this isn't the first time I've heard that noise
Last time I heard that noise, wife and I were living on a three-on-a-lot. Started hearing gurgling in the tub, nasty brown water (shit) coming up.
Soon thereafter, in the unit next to mine, I heard a woman screaming. It was gurgling up in mine, but in hers, it was coming up like a chocolate fountain.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman