Anyone epoxied their kitchen countertops?

SlickStick

Apr 7, 2002
Orlando, FL
Seems like a terrible idea I am almost certain to fuck up but this stuff has surprisingly good reviews:

Amazon Link

Would maybe consider moving to a lake house in a year or two if things play out right, so don't feel the need to dump a bunch of money into a kitchen remodel. Maybe do this, repaint the cabinets, replace the sink, and call it good enough with a cheap overhaul.

Reactions: FlyNReeLow

FlyNReeLow

Elite Member #200
Mar 14, 2000
Central Coast, CALI
Seems like a terrible idea I am almost certain to fuck up but this stuff has surprisingly good reviews:

Amazon Link

Would maybe consider moving to a lake house in a year or two if things play out right, so don't feel the need to dump a bunch of money into a kitchen remodel. Maybe do this, repaint the cabinets, replace the sink, and call it good enough with a cheap overhaul.
millions of videos on youtube. stone coat countertops

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
Looks like I have about 75 sq ft of countertops... that takes a 4 gallon kit which is $450.

Granite may be $60/sq ft or more so $4,500 + installation. $7,500 or so just for countertops.

Find a starron/Corian dealer near you. We paid like $350 per 10' slab. Sucks to cut, but I still think it would be much easier than epoxy. Also lasts forever.

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
how bad is the cutting and fabrication?

It's not terrible. Cut with circular saw and epoxy/clamps to do things like 90°. It comes in 1/2" sheets, so you have to epoxy a lip on to make it appear thicker. Then trim router it flush. Hardest part is keep the router bits/bearings from exploding and ruining your piece. I did our full kitchen with about 7 $10 Lowes bits, but if I were to do it again, I'd by the $100-200 purpose made bits.

FlyNReeLow

Elite Member #200
Mar 14, 2000
Central Coast, CALI
It's not terrible. Cut with circular saw and epoxy/clamps to do things like 90°. It comes in 1/2" sheets, so you have to epoxy a lip on to make it appear thicker. Then trim router it flush. Hardest part is keep the router bits/bearings from exploding and ruining your piece. I did a good bit with some $10 Lowes bits, but if I were to do it again, I'd by the $100-200 purpose made bits.
epoxy seems easier and less risk no?

TS
TS
SlickStick

SlickStick

Apr 7, 2002
Orlando, FL
It's not terrible. Cut with circular saw and epoxy/clamps to do things like 90°. It comes in 1/2" sheets, so you have to epoxy a lip on to make it appear thicker. Then trim router it flush. Hardest part is keep the router bits/bearings from exploding and ruining your piece. I did our full kitchen with about 7 $10 Lowes bits, but if I were to do it again, I'd by the $100-200 purpose made bits.
You're greatly overestimating my abilities.

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
Solid surface stuff is pretty much the same as working with wood. If you can make a plywood countertop, you can make a solid surface one. Just need the right glue and trim bits.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olegarchy