Anyone epoxied their kitchen countertops?

Mariner

Nov 11, 2000
PNW
I installed it myself, so yes.

I hate to admit it, but my wife was right. It's probably the best sink ever.
Really? I had one in an old rental....not one of these trendy new ones, but like an old one from when the house was originally built in 1921. I literally bought fishing bibs to keep myself dry while doing dishes. Worst sink ever.

• Haha
Reactions: SlickStick
TS
TS
SlickStick

SlickStick

Apr 7, 2002
Orlando, FL
New sink/faucet is the main thing the kitchen really NEEDS as it's leaking, but it just makes sense to either refurb or replace countertops when I do that.

Mariner

Nov 11, 2000
PNW
New sink/faucet is the main thing the kitchen really NEEDS as it's leaking, but it just makes sense to either refurb or replace countertops when I do that.
What's leaking, the faucet or the sink?

I disagree with your assessment that it makes sense to replace the countertop just because the sink and/or faucet are leaking. Those are both quick, easy fixes. It's like saying it makes sense to replace the wheels on your car because a tire went flat.

Reactions: Ramathorn15

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
Really? I had one in an old rental....not one of these trendy new ones, but like an old one from when the house was originally built in 1921. I literally bought fishing bibs to keep myself dry while doing dishes. Worst sink ever.

Im not a huge fan of the look, but have grown to really like it functionally. It's much deeper than any sink I've used before which is part of why I like it so much. I treat it more like an industrial sink since it has the capability. Haven't had an issues with splashing. I do hate that my wife hangs shit over the front. Always falls in/out when Im using it and collects food and shit under them. I keep asking if she even uses the stuff - "sometimes" smh.

• Haha
Reactions: Mariner
TS
TS
SlickStick

SlickStick

Apr 7, 2002
Orlando, FL
What's leaking, the faucet or the sink?

I disagree with your assessment that it makes sense to replace the countertop just because the sink and/or faucet are leaking. Those are both quick, easy fixes. It's like saying it makes sense to replace the wheels on your car because a tire went flat.
When the water is on it's leaking out of the top of the faucet. A seal inside the faucet handle somewhere.

YES - I can replace that without replacing the sink but they are both old and some ugly beige color so those go hand and hand. YES - I can replace the sink without replacing the countertops but those are also old laminate and while the sink is out it would seem to make sense to do it at once rather than rip the sink out again later.

DasVWBabe

OT's Diamond and Gemstone Tutorial Creator
OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Frisconia
Have you looked into porcelain slab? It's supposedly a really cost effective way to achieve the look of quartz/granite/marble but with a reportedly much more resilient product.

We looked at going with them in the new build, but ended up with quartz perimeter and granite waterfall island since we were trying to achieve a particular look. But if you're looking for the mostly white-with-some-veining look that's popular with resale, might check into that as an option?

TS
TS
SlickStick

SlickStick

Apr 7, 2002
Orlando, FL
Have you looked into porcelain slab? It's supposedly a really cost effective way to achieve the look of quartz/granite/marble but with a reportedly much more resilient product.

We looked at going with them in the new build, but ended up with quartz perimeter and granite waterfall island since we were trying to achieve a particular look. But if you're looking for the mostly white-with-some-veining look that's popular with resale, might check into that as an option?

Haven't gotten any quotes or anything but probably should just to know and evaluate some options like this. I'm not a snob for granite or whatever so anything that looks decent and is durable I would be game, thanks!

James May

Jun 14, 2006
480 AZ
I figure if I do this and it comes out terrible I can then go plan B and just rip them out anyways at that point... but yea I'm not very artistic so high probably I will fuck it up.

We just did in October with the carrera marble stonecoat kit.

My only issue was that the "primer" is actually the base coloring agent, since the epoxy is mixed with flake, but remains transparent. This was OK, because it gives it awesome depth, but we had one area where we had sanded through the primer in a back corner, and it shows.

It came out VERY nice for about $1k (materials and prep materials) and a days work... do lots of prep, seal all cracks/gaps no matter how small, use plastic sheeting or cardboard on floors and watch the videos on mixing colors/adding some variety.

Edit: we ended up doing it ourselves because the quote we got for a "pro" to do it was $3500+ :rofl3:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olegarchy