CAR Anyone have a Ford Explorer?

thunderbird

Aug 11, 2008
Kentucky
I want one so bad :hsd: and I just wanted to hear what some owners had to say about it.
I want a 4 wheele drive and V8, and yeah, i'm prepared to get fucked on gas costs..

if you could tell me what year you have and then tell me what you thought of it, it'd be greatly appreciated :x:

)><(((x>

Jan 15, 2006
AWD V8. Love it in the winter. Not so much inthe summer. Gas isn't horrendous but it isn't good either. But drafting semi's I get like 28 mpg's doing 60. V8 is nice but if you're looking for a lot of power I'd recommend the Excal II tuner. Also if you get one check out explorerexpress.com and explorerx.com and the forums there.
Oh and the AWD is great for rain, snow, handling I've noticed it's alot better than my pop's Toyota Sequoia. Other than that I don't know what else to say.
It's a '97 with 50k on it btw.

TS
TS
thunderbird

thunderbird

Aug 11, 2008
Kentucky
AWD V8. Love it in the winter. Not so much inthe summer. Gas isn't horrendous but it isn't good either. But drafting semi's I get like 28 mpg's doing 60. V8 is nice but if you're looking for a lot of power I'd recommend the Excal II tuner. Also if you get one check out explorerexpress.com and explorerx.com and the forums there.
Oh and the AWD is great for rain, snow, handling I've noticed it's alot better than my pop's Toyota Sequoia. Other than that I don't know what else to say.
It's a '97 with 50k on it btw.

thanks man, does help
i want it for camping trips mostly, so i guess i'll have to draft behind some semi's :mamoru:
if i'm going to get one, i'm definantly going to get an awd V8

IHAVECRABS

Diversity is our strength. LOLOL
Aug 7, 2006
Country state of mind, MD
i had an 04 v8 4x4, it was nice. very solid and reliable...and the power was pretty good. make sure you get one with the heavy duty tow package, they came with a 3.73 limited slip rear end.

i dont like the newest ones though, hate the interior

mtnbikekid08

Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps
Jul 31, 2007
San Jose
Newer ones have independent suspension rear though, compared to the solid axle rear in the older ones. The independent suspension probably gives a much smoother ride overall.

GammaRadiation

Feb 15, 2007
Random Location.FL
Newer ones have independent suspension rear though, compared to the solid axle rear in the older ones. The independent suspension probably gives a much smoother ride overall.
Hurts offroad ability though.

A lot of ranger guys take 4.10 LSD explorer axles, reweld the spring perches to the top and put them on their trucks. They coem with 8.8 rear axles where most rangers come with 7.5 or w/e. The LSD in the 7.5 wears out with the quickness.

mtnbikekid08

Jul 31, 2007
San Jose
Hurts offroad ability though.

A lot of ranger guys take 4.10 LSD explorer axles, reweld the spring perches to the top and put them on their trucks. They coem with 8.8 rear axles where most rangers come with 7.5 or w/e. The LSD in the 7.5 wears out with the quickness.
Ranger edge come with 8.8's stock

davesexplorer

Oct 11, 2008
Had two explorers, 1995 XLT with the 4.0 OHV, and a 1999 Sport with the SOHC. Both were pretty solid and good drivers. The newer ones are nice as well, I drove a 4.6 but decided to get my current 5.4 Expedition FX4 instead.

mtnbikekid08

Jul 31, 2007
San Jose
Odd, since it's dual sport I'm assuming 2wd?

My truck is basically your truck only 2 years older and with a fancy interior and some troy lee stickers on the outside.
Your truck is the odd one. All Edge's/DS's come with 8.8's. And yes, I have seen over 30 different edge's. All had 8.8's
XLT's have the 7.5 for the most part.
So this means that either some dumbass put a 7.5 in yours, or they didn't put the 8.8 in at that stage yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSimnovec