TECH anyone have a new appletv with xbmc installed?

dorkultra

OT's resident crohns dude
OT Supporter
Oct 14, 2005
nilbog, trollhio
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/20/xbmc-comes-to-the-new-apple-tv/

So you jailbroke your new Apple TV, only to realize that there's not all that much to do at the top of Everest except rest and enjoy your accomplishment, eh? No need to trek back down the hill -- there are a great many minds at work to leverage your new-found power into something truly useful. Like what, you say? Take a gander above. An second-generation Apple TV appeared at our doorstep this weekend with XBMC on board -- decoding our 1080p HD content, complete with hardware acceleration, on Apple's ARM silicon, and with only occasional choppiness.

If your sense of self-entitlement is wondering what took so long, don't. We're told that this isn't a simple port, as the new Apple TV doesn't share much with its older brother, and is an entirely different animal to develop for. The bulk of the work has been done, though, and as you can see in the video above, once you launch XBMC from the new Apple TV it is the same great experience you've come to love. The difference is, this time, the hardware you're running it on costs just $99. This tiny box is finally beginning to feel magical... now, we're just waiting on a simple installer so we can load it up ourselves.

Update: And just like that, the wait is over. If your jailbroken second-gen Apple TV is ready and you have the foggiest idea what "apt-get" does, you can install XBMC right now. Find instructions at our more coverage link below.

i'm thinking about picking one up for my parents, i wonder if its possible to have it boot directly into xbmc instead of the appletv menu

TheWeasel

Hoping to install it soon but they don't have an untethered jailbreak for the Apple TV running 4.2.1 yet. :(

D3xt3r

Snoerk
Dec 8, 2001
Germany
Just bought one this morning. But right now have some trouble jailbreaking it. Pwnage Tool just doesnt like the ipsw and the one I made with seasonpass wasnt liked by itunes...

TheWeasel

I'm waiting for un tethered too. I don't have a Mac within reach of my atv. No Mac laptops.

Having to use your Mac every time you wanted to turn the Apple TV on would suck. I use mine way too much for that crap. I'll wait for the untethered release.

xenon supra

OT Supporter
Feb 3, 2005
San Diego, CA
Having to use your Mac every time you wanted to turn the Apple TV on would suck. I use mine way too much for that crap. I'll wait for the untethered release.

You can sleep the appletv on tethered. I had mine jailbroken last week but restored it bc it was unstable and netflix kept crashing.

You only have to tether it if you unplug from wall

D3xt3r

Snoerk
Dec 8, 2001
Germany
Got it working...

For 99$ its a damn good thing and blows my old WD TV out of the water. Now I just need to fix the folders and files on my home server so the scraper can work its magic...

D3xt3r

Snoerk
Dec 8, 2001
Germany
yeah there is no other way at the moment but the atv takes small amounts of power in standby so i never shut it off completly.

TS
TS
dorkultra

dorkultra

OT's resident crohns dude
OT Supporter
Oct 14, 2005
nilbog, trollhio
Got it working...

For 99$ its a damn good thing and blows my old WD TV out of the water. Now I just need to fix the folders and files on my home server so the scraper can work its magic...

so if the power goes out or the thing crashes and needs a power cycle, i have to plug it in to a computer/mac with usb?

also, what are the disadvantages of using an old appletv and xbmc/boxee? does it only do 720p or have less codec support?

Tetragrammaton

Feb 1, 2005
NYC
so if the power goes out or the thing crashes and needs a power cycle, i have to plug it in to a computer/mac with usb?

also, what are the disadvantages of using an old appletv and xbmc/boxee? does it only do 720p or have less codec support?

The tethered boot is pretty easy and takes 15 seconds total. I've only had to do it once (after installing a new skin through SSH). Just wish I had a longer micro-USB cable.

So far I love it. Having netflix as well as my entire video library on one device in a slick interface is very cool.

When they add support for the Remote iphone app it will be even better.

MaK10

OT Supporter
Nov 13, 2004
Chicago Suburbs
Haven't put XBMC on mine, but I do have PLEX... loving it so far although I just got the thing yesterday. I had a hell of a time trying it to go into DFU mode, but realized it was because i was using a miniUSB to microUSB adapter instead of an actual microUSB cable... got the new cable and was jailbroken in 10 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor