Anyone have any uplighting in their trees or on their houses? Need recommendations.

pookrat

OT Supporter
Dec 6, 2002
The Woodlands
Can this be done with Solar stand alone lights? The new house has a lot of really tall oaks in the back yard that are trimmed high and I think it would looks nice to have uplights lighting the canopy at night. But don't want to run wires. I would also put a few in the landscaping out front at the same time. I grabbed a $5 dollar one from Wal-Mart when I was there and it just isn't bright enough. Any one have any experience with these things and can recommend something?

I also need some help with these stupid french drains but that is a whole nother thread. LOL

popey

OT Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
https://www.voltlighting.com/ seems to be good/cheap if you go the wired route

I was able to buy a kit or buy my own equipment and get guys to install it for like $150. install didn't require a new electrical outlet though - that'll add to it obviously

TS
TS
pookrat

pookrat

OT Supporter
Dec 6, 2002
The Woodlands
Yeah thats what I was worried about. The one I bought said 20 Lumens for 6 hours on a full charge. I was hoping for something a little brighter. If I am climbing up the ladder to strap the MFers to the trees, I wanna make sure they are decent.

Solar is not going to do shit for tall trees unless you have some ugly lights with a giant panel on them to power the LEDs. You need wired lights like @FutureMan said. Low voltage might do the trick and you would not need a trench, just a narrow space to get the wire secured underground.

popey

OT Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
i dont know how solar lights would work inside the canopy since they won't get much sunlight

TS
TS
pookrat

pookrat

OT Supporter
Dec 6, 2002
The Woodlands
https://www.voltlighting.com/ seems to be good/cheap if you go the wired route

I was able to buy a kit or buy my own equipment and get guys to install it for like $150. install didn't require a new electrical outlet though - that'll add to it obviously

If I go the wired route, that looks like some good stuff. I think right now I am wanting to go the cheap route to see how it would look and if we enjoy it. I will need to resod the backyard when we put in a sprinkler system. I could always have them run the cable for wired lights at the same time. But that just seems like alot of money if I could get away with solar powered ones.

popey

OT Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
the grass will re-grow over the low voltage trench lines - very minimal impact to the grass but yeah you could wait and do it all at the same time

turbo35

haters gonna hate
May 8, 2001
Seattle-ish, WA
you're going to end up wired but heres something to spend a couple bucks on first.

50 lumens

Agreed. We messed around with solar stuff but the cheap ones only lasted a year or so. Wired gets you longevity, much better lighting, and more options on how you want to throw the light.

TS
TS
pookrat

pookrat

OT Supporter
Dec 6, 2002
The Woodlands
you're going to end up wired but heres something to spend a couple bucks on first.

50 lumens

That doesn't look too bad to satisfy my curiosity. How hard is it to bury the cables? I know I can't just drape the wiring over the ground and cover it with topsoil since I have a toddler and a kid that could get to it. Mush less a dog that will dig it up and probably use it for a sparky chew toy. Could you get away with putting it 6 inches under the ground and not having to use conduit? Or are you supposed to run conduit and crap. Guess it depends on if the lights are 110 or low voltage.

That doesn't look too bad to satisfy my curiosity. How hard is it to bury the cables? I know I can't just drape the wiring over the ground and cover it with topsoil since I have a toddler and a kid that could get to it. Mush less a dog that will dig it up and probably use it for a sparky chew toy. Could you get away with putting it 6 inches under the ground and not having to use conduit? Or are you supposed to run conduit and crap. Guess it depends on if the lights are 110 or low voltage.

for low voltage just get a flat edge spade and use that to make a "slit" for the wire.

TS
TS
pookrat

pookrat

OT Supporter
Dec 6, 2002
The Woodlands
Sound easy enough. I am guessing they make low voltage wire meant to be buried. And then I could just have a transformer connected to a Smart Outlet to control the on/off times and such. As long as the transformer can handle the amount of current draw from the lights and I don't over do it. I think I need to look into this a little more. LOL

TS
TS
pookrat

pookrat

OT Supporter
Dec 6, 2002
The Woodlands
can we get a #goose update?

It was ducks sir. And I sold that rat infested, duck haven of a place last June. We are talking about my new "to me" mansion in The Woodlands. I got a really good deal on it for a reason. I have been busy since day one and will stay busy for years. LOL. Just never had a need for tree lighting so this is my first foray in this venture.

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
It was ducks sir. And I sold that rat infested, duck haven of a place last June. We are talking about my new "to me" mansion in The Woodlands. I got a really good deal on it for a reason. I have been busy since day one and will stay busy for years. LOL. Just never had a need for tree lighting so this is my first foray in this venture.
one could say you still do not have a need for tree lighting lol, thats some wyppl shit

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
The place in Manzanillo has lights in the Palms. But don't stand too close or your feet will start to tingle. LOL

#Mexican Engineering.
i tried turning off the front porch light last night immediately after washing the dishes

ZAPpppppppppp

:wtc:

Aviv

OT Supporter
Feb 8, 2002
LBC
We have the solar lights where there are three lights hooked up to one panel. Put the panel in the sun, then run the lights wherever you want.

Not as bright and dramatic as hard wired, but adds some curb appeal

jrmcm

Cocaine and cocaine accessories
Oct 9, 2001
Plano, TX
Low voltage + led bulbs + transformer
Skip the solar crap, you’ll just end up doing this eventually.

TS
TS
pookrat

pookrat

OT Supporter
Dec 6, 2002
The Woodlands
Low voltage + led bulbs + transformer
Skip the solar crap, you’ll just end up doing this eventually.

I think you are right. After looking at everything, I will just have ti deal with it. I was hoping there was a highend solar option or something.

popey

OT Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Burying low voltage wiring is easy. Shovel takes some time or you can buy the right tool for the job - flat edge spade. It’ll be faster to bury with a flat edge
Be sure to use the right outdoor connectors - the ones that fill with silicone to become water proof

You don’t need a smart outlet the transformers have built in light detectors

Reactions: pookrat

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright Β© 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448