CAR Anyone here ordering a Rivian?

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
I was expecting the 4 wheel electric motors to behave more like locking differentials... looks more like a traditional SUV with a clutch pack LSD, slipping but trying.

software updates coming. :bowrofl:

they rushed the shit outta it to be the first. now the real work begins

TS
TS
hootpie

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
I was expecting the 4 wheel electric motors to behave more like locking differentials... looks more like a traditional SUV with a clutch pack LSD, slipping but trying.
Same. I don't know if fanboys made the claim or Rivian itself, but I thought the reason they did a motor at each corner was to deliver a ton of power to the wheel(s) with traction without having to worry about braking the other wheel(s).

Oman4x4

OT Supporter
Sep 22, 2004
Dubai / Oman / Saudi Arabia
software updates coming. :bowrofl:

they rushed the shit outta it to be the first. now the real work begins

Possible. It just seems like a difflock mode that just focuses on making all the wheel speed sensors match would be easier to code than whatever is going on now making it scrabble for traction. I would have started with the diff lock off road mode and then try to bring in some clever torque vectoring or tank steer or other weird shenanigans to help it out off road i.e. Toyota's crawl control and whatever else you can do with driving wheels independently.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
Possible. It just seems like a difflock mode that just focuses on making all the wheel speed sensors match would be easier to code than whatever is going on now making it scrabble for traction. I would have started with the diff lock off road mode and then try to bring in some clever torque vectoring or tank steer or other weird shenanigans to help it out off road i.e. Toyota's crawl control and whatever else you can do with driving wheels independently.

who knows. they need the vans to ship to finish dev on the R1T

Reactions: JohnnyBeagle

matrix243

BRAAAAAAAAAAAP
May 15, 2001
Calgary
In this initial stages diff lock would probably have helped but with a bit more drama since the back end would tend to slide out on the rocks more which would land more on the driver. The software response and programming isn't quite advanced enough yet but pretty easily fixed.

I<3URANUS

I can ride my bike with no handlebars.
OT Supporter
Sep 17, 2002
Dallas, TX
This been posted?

hondaluva

likes free hugs...
Jul 6, 2001

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamedali2022