CAR Anyone here ordering a Rivian?

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
400 miles rated range means ~180 miles towing. That gets me from home to my farm. Less isn't going to work as their are 0 chargers (non tesla) on my route.

im not sure i'd be trusting even 180 miles with wind and a large trailer

Reactions: I<3URANUS

I<3URANUS

I can ride my bike with no handlebars.
OT Supporter
Sep 17, 2002
Dallas, TX
400 miles rated range means ~180 miles towing. That gets me from home to my farm. Less isn't going to work as their are 0 chargers (non tesla) on my route.
Yeah, I'd want the biggest pack possible if I was towing.

Where's the farm at?

VipZ28

OT's resident Solar and Home Battery guy, I guess?
OT Supporter
Jun 10, 2004
Pearland, Texas
Lots of non EV owners in here worrying about range anxiety. Oof
I have a model X and a volt right now. No range anxiety, just realism. Towing a heavy non aero trailer cuts range by at least 50% in every test I've ever seen on the Rivian, and that's consistent with the towing I've done with the model X.

VipZ28

OT Supporter
Jun 10, 2004
Pearland, Texas
county/state highways i assume? they really need to fill those routes out in a big way.
Si Senor. There's 2 tesla chargers on the route (actually... on both route options). There's 1 Electrify America station on the shittier route, no non tesla on my preffered route.

Reactions: whatever

I<3URANUS

OT Supporter
Sep 17, 2002
Dallas, TX
I have a model X and a volt right now. No range anxiety, just realism. Towing a heavy non aero trailer cuts range by at least 50% in every test I've ever seen on the Rivian, and that's consistent with the towing I've done with the model X.
It's a joke bb.

TS
TS
hootpie

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
Lots of non EV owners in here worrying about range anxiety. Oof
We have the LR Model 3 (4 years old at this point) with 311 miles of stated range. Right off the bat driving 70-75mph on the freeway with A/C on drops estimated range to 275 (12% reduction). We try to not charge more than 80% regularly so that's a 20% reduction down to 211 miles. We typically charge it when we have 10% battery left, which means we have an effective range of about 180 miles.

I<3URANUS

OT Supporter
Sep 17, 2002
Dallas, TX
We have the LR Model 3 (4 years old at this point) with 311 miles of stated range. Right off the bat driving 70-75mph on the freeway with A/C on drops estimated range to 275 (12% reduction). We try to not charge more than 80% regularly so that's a 20% reduction down to 211 miles. We typically charge it when we have 10% battery left, which means we have an effective range of about 180 miles.
Lol. Look up bb.

Reactions: hootpie

I<3URANUS

OT Supporter
Sep 17, 2002
Dallas, TX
I never got close to the stated range of my model three the two years I had it. I feel like they overestimate range pretty severely.

What's funny is my wife's MachE (in the summer) regularly shows 10%-15% over what it's rated for. In winter it takes a decent hit but it's not that bad since she preps the car in the am. I just wish ford's app was was better. There are a lot of things Tesla does right for usability.

VipZ28

OT Supporter
Jun 10, 2004
Pearland, Texas
We have a 2016 Model X 90D, 247 mile advertised range, it still charges to 242 today, so deg isn't bad, We have roughly a 180 mile range on roadtrips, starting with 100% SoC, doing 75-80mph. That checks out pretty well as we see ~400kwh/mile out of a 80ish kw useable battery.

silver60

OT Supporter
May 4, 2010
Dallas Tx
Being able to drive an extra hour on long road trips, range loss when driving up to the mountains to snowboard, range loss due to cold weather, peace of mind when off-roading, reduced range anxiety, etc..

Realistically I want a 500+ mile EV so that once you factor in charging to 80% and charging again at 10% you end up with over 300 miles of actual driving range. My current SUV gets nearly 500 miles of driving range on a single tank of gas, which is muy fantastico.

I think the biggest thing folks do not yet realize is range anxiety is fake and here's my theory.

When you are low on fuel in a ICE vehicle you start looking for gas stations and that "worry" about charging stations is carrying over, and the reason it won't matter 99% of the time is your "gas station" is your home.

If you get home with 0 miles on the dash left in the fuel tank, you're going to be walking to the gas station, but since your home is a gas station (or anywhere with a plug) you have infinite options.

Earlier when I say 99% of the time its because the 1% of the time it matters is on road trips, and for those, you just use the vehicles mapping system which integrates fast chargers and you're set. And then there's no range anxiety b/c you know where to fill up, so at worst instead of range anxiety you have the inconvenience of a longer recharge time than refuel, and you accept that going into buying an EV, but I really think the rest of range anxiety is just false anxiety/

TS
TS
hootpie

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
I think the biggest thing folks do not yet realize is range anxiety is fake and here's my theory.

When you are low on fuel in a ICE vehicle you start looking for gas stations and that "worry" about charging stations is carrying over, and the reason it won't matter 99% of the time is your "gas station" is your home.

If you get home with 0 miles on the dash left in the fuel tank, you're going to be walking to the gas station, but since your home is a gas station (or anywhere with a plug) you have infinite options.

Earlier when I say 99% of the time its because the 1% of the time it matters is on road trips, and for those, you just use the vehicles mapping system which integrates fast chargers and you're set. And then there's no range anxiety b/c you know where to fill up, so at worst instead of range anxiety you have the inconvenience of a longer recharge time than refuel, and you accept that going into buying an EV, but I really think the rest of range anxiety is just false anxiety/
Not everyone, particularly where I live, owns a home they can charge at.

I listed out particular use cases for me where the added range is a tremendous benefit. Home charging doesn't assuage any of those situations.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004

yea its a mind fuck to try and arrive home at 0%.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
Not everyone, particularly where I live, owns a home they can charge at.

I listed out particular use cases for me where the added range is a tremendous benefit. Home charging doesn't assuage any of those situations.

multi family dwellings?

TS
TS
hootpie

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
multi family dwellings?
The apartment complex we live in is one of few in the area that has chargers on-site, but they're slow as fuck and comically expensive. And this is in an area where EVs are super popular, cities have a ton of taxpayer money thanks to tech salaries, and EV adoption is being driven super hard.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
The apartment complex we live in is one of few in the area that has chargers on-site, but they're slow as fuck and comically expensive. And this is in an area where EVs are super popular, cities have a ton of taxpayer money thanks to tech salaries, and EV adoption is being driven super hard.

from memory roughly speaking 50-60% of US has a driveway they park their vehicle in.

for the rest more solutions are needed. I really like what powerflex.com is doing to reduce grid demand

1662564321158.png

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamedali2022