GUN Anyone know SEALs or is a SEAL

Kalel36

Feb 13, 2010
Wherever I lay my head
A buddy of mine worked with them in Iraq, I like how they operate but my knowledge of their day to day life is near nothing. I am not worried about the selection process and am confident I can make it. I have worked with Special Forces here in Iraq, MARSOC in Afg and heard a little about the SEALs. I want to do something more than I currently am as Psyop in the Army. I had been training for SFAS for a while, now just hanging out and getting some deployment experience in before I make that step back to a training environment. Any info you guys have would be great.

PumpScout

Feb 16, 2008
Central Wisconsin
I was just talking with a recently retired SEAL last night. He doesn't talk much about what he did, from a training perspective, operational, or his daily doings. I'd think the bulk of real SEALs are going to be similar. It's not that he gives the line of "I can't talk about it", he just redirects the conversations to things he can talk about, or wants to talk about.

Blackfox

Mar 24, 2008
I worked with a SEAL sniper team in Afghanistan. I also know a guy in my vet's association at school who was a SEAL for 8 years.

brackac

Activate Lurker Mode!
OT Supporter
Jul 16, 2001
Would have to leave the Army, enlist in the Navy, and then give it a go. Risky process for swim lessons. Why not do D Boy selection or the Great Skills program?

brackac

Activate Lurker Mode!
OT Supporter
Jul 16, 2001
one of our CW4s (recently retired) was a SEAL in the 80s
he loved it and would recommend it every day of the week. he was the only current Army guy I knew walking around with a Trident

When I was at flight school there were two former Seals sporting Tridents. One was a Officer, the other a Warrant.

MMJ4mil

Nov 19, 2007
USA
there are a lot of them in San Diego due to one of their bases being here. Most are very quiet and do not brag at all. Very good guys

TS
TS
Kalel36

Kalel36

Feb 13, 2010
Wherever I lay my head
Really I just am curious about the day to day garrison life. I know what happens while they are deployed because i work with SEALS, Green Berets, MARSOC, and the pipeline seems straight forward. I spoke with 2 Navy recruiters and one seems to think I will have to finish my enlistment with the Army and the other says i can do a conditional release (if approved) and go to the Navy but neither were sure about me maintaining my rank. I am going to talk to one in person when I get back from Iraq and if I dont have a chance then I will stick to my original plan and go to SFAS, I really just wanted to check out all of my options.

TS
TS
Kalel36

Kalel36

Feb 13, 2010
Wherever I lay my head
Ok correction, :o I mean my MOS works with SEALs, I have only worked with ODA's and Marsoc, I got their mission down because they do the same stuff as the other 2 here and in afg. Were I attached to a SEAL team instead of an ODA I would.

widds2v

Jan 5, 2005
Coronado, CA
Day to day life? Training, studying, etc. I mean what do you think they do? Sit around and play BLOPS on xbox live?

I know you THINK that you would be able to get through the process (I won't give you the benefit of the doubt, you'll fail out) but if you don't you do realize you will have the shittiest job known to man most likely in the Navy right? Are you willing to give up whatever you're doing now and have an 85% chance that you'll be chipping rust and painting bulkheads in the Navy?

TS
TS
Kalel36

Kalel36

Feb 13, 2010
Wherever I lay my head
Day to day life? Training, studying, etc. I mean what do you think they do? Sit around and play BLOPS on xbox live?

I know you THINK that you would be able to get through the process (I won't give you the benefit of the doubt, you'll fail out) but if you don't you do realize you will have the shittiest job known to man most likely in the Navy right? Are you willing to give up whatever you're doing now and have an 85% chance that you'll be chipping rust and painting bulkheads in the Navy?

I am talking training schedule, do they have language training available for them to maintain the language they do learn. When there is nothing going on are they sitting on their ass waiting till 5.

All of this is me trying to decide what fits me best ODA or SEAL team? I will at least try out... I am not some regular army joe dreaming of some unrealistic job where you are awesome at everything and never have to work for it.

dmcgill

Jul 31, 2006
California
I am talking training schedule, do they have language training available for them to maintain the language they do learn. When there is nothing going on are they sitting on their ass waiting till 5.

All of this is me trying to decide what fits me best ODA or SEAL team? I will at least try out... I am not some regular army joe dreaming of some unrealistic job where you are awesome at everything and never have to work for it.
A very good friend of mine I've known for 5 years is a SEAL. I used to live with him for about a year, and after that I watched his house while he was away on workups or deployment. They operate in different training cycles, first it's professional development...where you just go to a whole bunch of different schools for about a six month period, then after that you integrate with ULT (Unit Level Training) again for another six months give or take, then after that is SIT (Squadron Integration Training) where you train with the whole combat asset you are taking with you to war.

A day in the life, in between schools say, you go to the team and workout for a few hours, maybe inventory some gear, and you're home by lunchtime. Very relaxed, it's the best time to take leave and you get to spend the most amount of time at home. However, the schools they go to and the training sites they operate at are almost never local. Nebraska, Indiana, Mississippi, Florida, Arizona, Nevada....fucking everywhere. It sounds to me like you're asking how often are you gone, even when not deployed. A good answer is around 300 days a year. It is rough.

Currently in the initial training pipeline there is no formal language training/requirement like Army Special Forces. However NSW is constantly evolving and my friend has told me there are guys on his team who have been sent to and graduated from the DLI in Monterey. No matter what though, Army SF included, you will almost always have a terp with you once you deploy...but it's always good to have guys who have at least an elementary understanding of the local language.

...Regular SEAL teams are not "on call" so much as the other unit within NSW. There is only one "team" that is directly on call to respond to an emergency situation in the world at any given time, similar to what the Army has.

TS
TS
Kalel36

Kalel36

Feb 13, 2010
Wherever I lay my head
A very good friend of mine I've known for 5 years is a SEAL. I used to live with him for about a year, and after that I watched his house while he was away on workups or deployment. They operate in different training cycles, first it's professional development...where you just go to a whole bunch of different schools for about a six month period, then after that you integrate with ULT (Unit Level Training) again for another six months give or take, then after that is SIT (Squadron Integration Training) where you train with the whole combat asset you are taking with you to war.

A day in the life, in between schools say, you go to the team and workout for a few hours, maybe inventory some gear, and you're home by lunchtime. Very relaxed, it's the best time to take leave and you get to spend the most amount of time at home. However, the schools they go to and the training sites they operate at are almost never local. Nebraska, Indiana, Mississippi, Florida, Arizona, Nevada....fucking everywhere. It sounds to me like you're asking how often are you gone, even when not deployed. A good answer is around 300 days a year. It is rough.

Currently in the initial training pipeline there is no formal language training/requirement like Army Special Forces. However NSW is constantly evolving and my friend has told me there are guys on his team who have been sent to and graduated from the DLI in Monterey. No matter what though, Army SF included, you will almost always have a terp with you once you deploy...but it's always good to have guys who have at least an elementary understanding of the local language.

...Regular SEAL teams are not "on call" so much as the other unit within NSW. There is only one "team" that is directly on call to respond to an emergency situation in the world at any given time, similar to what the Army has.

This is the kind of stuff i was looking for. I learned Chinese in the Army and we have no program to keep up with the language available to us. Pt? i am assuming it is your a grown assed man now do it. We roll in 3 man teams in my job but they have us do pt with our detachment, which is annoying as hell for those of us who arent going to get anything out of a 2 mile run and workout on their own later anyway... the majority of my day is wasted on an unorganized group who have us sit around instead of doing anything relevant to the Army other than "waiting to receive direction" I am looking for something that will push me to excel and keep me busy. I want to know there is hope in the military for people who want more than being mediocre. I am not looking for the military to coddle my growth and I hope this is not what it sounds like. I would enjoy schools and workups. I spend 7 month deployed and 5 months back, there is not much time for a training rotation unless i want to move to a position where we dont go to "war"

/rant

TS
TS
Kalel36

Kalel36

Feb 13, 2010
Wherever I lay my head
Ok I want to be boots on the ground until it wont happen anymore. I would like to go to work and either work or workout. As far as schools go, Ranger would be good for the leadership training (dont care to much about the tab) Airborne is fun to do but freefall would be ideal, I am looking forward to SERE. I would like to get to the range and actually practice/refresh in CQB and rifle marksmanship. I like the shortened breachers course I got, and the ASO shit was cool too... Most of the stuff I picked up has been from me talking to my teams while deployed, expressing an interest and they liked having the help and it helped me be an asset to the team. I am sure there is stuff I left out... I am young and want to conquer the world. I speak chinese but wouldnt mind either a retrain or picking up a less difficult language to add too. The list goes on and on but that is a lot that I would like to do!

TS
TS
Kalel36

Kalel36

Feb 13, 2010
Wherever I lay my head
The United States Army Special Forces could suit your needs :)

As a team or as a team member you can schedule all kinds of extra training while not on deployment. Typically one company within each SF battalion has a 'special skill' (freefall, dive, etc). Getting to one of those companies will be a sure bet way to get the freefall training

*******disclaimer: i am NOT nor have I ever been a member of special forces. my information comes from a buddy of mine who was in SF for 9 years before switching to my current career field. I had also planned to attend SFAS at one point and hung out with the SF Recruiters on Ft Benning for about 4 months. We did daily PT together and I went from being somewhat in shape to having a phenomenal fitness level. I still couldnt keep up with the Batt Boys on the longer runs but my speed and endurance increased 100 fold. I fucked myself and decided to try CA instead and didnt get picked up.********

This is what I have been training for, I was looking at the SEAL option to check it all out before I gave it a shot. Before afg I was training with a bunch of my 18xray buddies after work. CA is opening up another Battalion here soon and Psyop is trying to open another Group by 2014. I appreciate the help and advice y'all :wavey:

dmcgill

Jul 31, 2006
California
Even though you didn't ask for it, my advice to you is stay in the Army and choose a new MOS.

The tradeoff simply isn't worth it, nevermind you not quitting, men fail out of training all the time for injuries or other things. Some even make it all the way near the end of SQT (that's a year into training) before failing out for a number of reasons. It's never over. And unlike the Army, there is no secondary combat options in the Navy, it's be a SEAL or ride a ship. At least if you were to fail out of RASP or SFAS, you could still have a combat job.

If, however, you become absolutely dead set on becoming a SEAL, just do all your research before making that decision. There is a TON of literature out there on every aspect of training and beyond. Dive into the books, and go talk to a Navy recruiter who can put you in contact with a SEAL motivator. Other people have made bigger sacrifices, in BUD/S class 228 there was a former Marine 1LT who gave up his commission in the USMC to enlist as an E3 in the Navy just for a shot at becoming a SEAL. If you want it bad enough, as the saying goes, you can have it. You just have to be completely honest with yourself first.

TS
TS
Kalel36

Kalel36

Feb 13, 2010
Wherever I lay my head
Yea, Being a SEAL over an Green Beret isnt worth the possibility of losing my current situation if I break and it is not like being a green beret is a step down either. dmcgill I appreciate the advice, it looks like selection it is after talking to a navy recruiter again. Unless my current MOS gives me a TL position to afg this next year then I will be going to Selection this next winter. I appreciate all of the advice you guys have given and for throwing up ideas I hadnt previously considered!

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor