FOOD Anyone make their own hot sauce?

Jesus

OT Supporter
Sep 13, 2005
Jupiter, FL

milton became blind at the age of

Never made it before. Been fermenting for a week, waiting until next Saturday to blend and strain it. There's about a pound of cayennes in there, then I added a jalapeno and a couple Havasu in order to reach a full lb of peppers. Added in some garlic, allspice, cinnamon and peppercorns. It's been pretty active when I check on it, and it smells incredible. Can't wait to blend it and finish it up next week. Gonna add xanthan gum and some vinegar too. What have y'all done with your sauces?

TS
TS
Jesus

Jesus

OT Supporter
Sep 13, 2005
Jupiter, FL
Oh and I threw a bay leaf in too just because. Seeing how it turns out and what flavors work. I have no idea what I'm doing tbh

TS
TS
Jesus

Jesus

OT Supporter
Sep 13, 2005
Jupiter, FL
That jar is pretty cool. It has a fermentation lid that let's the gases escape, and comes with a big spring that holds everything down to keep it submerged.

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
No. There's too many good, cheap hot sauces out there to bother making my own.

i support his rights to make his own hot sauce....i mean, there are only so many things you can do with an abundance of hot peppers.

but you're absolutely correct, there are enough hot sauces out there on the market that i'll never even remotely try to make my own

Reactions: Jesus
TS
TS
Jesus

Jesus

OT Supporter
Sep 13, 2005
Jupiter, FL
i support his rights to make his own hot sauce....i mean, there are only so many things you can do with an abundance of hot peppers.

but you're absolutely correct, there are enough hot sauces out there on the market that i'll never even remotely try to make my own
Yeah, you'll see. When your plants start putting off dozens and dozens of peppers, you'll be like "wtf am I gonna do with all this?" Hell, I already have a jar full of dried cayennes from last year that are just sitting there doing nothing.

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
Yeah, you'll see. When your plants start putting off dozens and dozens of peppers, you'll be like "wtf am I gonna do with all this?" Hell, I already have a jar full of dried cayennes from last year that are just sitting there doing nothing.

im averaging about 10 peppers every 2 days

that is from my 2 bucket plants and the 2 that survived from my landlords garden.

Reactions: Jesus
TS
TS
Jesus

Jesus

OT Supporter
Sep 13, 2005
Jupiter, FL
That's why I don't grow chiles. I'd rather leave it to the pros and buy a great tasting bottle for $3 that lasts a year.
I like growing peppers tho. It's nice to have fresh on hand, and if my sauce ends up being good, then I can control the flavors and just keep making it. Makes good unique gifts too.

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
Nice. Those are some fattys bro. Are they just regular cayennes, or some different variety? Mine are a lot thinner.

i have no idea.

i bought them at a local produce store when they were about 4" tall and it just said cayenne $2.50 for a 6 pack

the real skinny ones are from my buckets, the real fat ones come from the landlords garden.

mine have had miracle-gro applied, his have not :dunno:

all i know is my buddy who eats these like candy said that mine from the bucket had a better flavor

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wet0529