Anyone please, help..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Homan, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Homan

Homan Unconquerable OT Supporter

Right now I am enrolled in a cisco networking program that will result in an AA in Network Admin. I have taken and passed the A+ and will probably take the CCNA in the summer.

I am really lost at what kidn of jobs I should look for, I have no job experience in the field so even if I do have the CCNA I doubt anyone will hire me as a network admin.

I dont mind working a low paying job but what kind of job should I start at? Is working at compusa/bestbuy/etc as a computer sales/tech a good start?

To worsen the situation I am in, the head of the IT department is quitting soon and they might even take away the networking program(Which I hopefully can complete and still get it)... Also the 4 year transfer program is very shaky as well... I am in a real bad situation because if I knew this was going to happen I would have stuck with Comp Sci, if the 4 year transfer program is gone I am stuck with an AA and no transfer...

So many jobs require ATLEAST a 4 year degree now, I don tknow what to do if I have to go back and start over with my transfer degree. I dont want to be in school FOREVER... And most of all I dont want to spend my whole life in a deadend tech job, someday I want to be in charge of a large company network.

please any advice would be helpful... I am going to talk to the department tommorrow and find out whats going on...

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You need to get a 4-year degree. The market is in bad shape right now, and even people with 4-year degrees are having a tough time. How much do you want to make? I don't forsee you getting more than $10/hour starting in the computer industry with your education background.

3. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

Your best bet is to develop a marketable skill for self-employment. In the down times, I use my networking skills to do in-home setups and computer repairs. If you live close to a nice rural area, this is a great way to both earn some experence and make some money.