Anyone use a cell signal booster in your house? Do they work?

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
I get shit cell signal in my house. Thinking about getting something like this.

Anyone use something like that before? Do they actually work?

Capt. Hammer

Purveyor of Bespoke Photoshop ROFLs and LOLs
OT Supporter
Jun 14, 2003
The Lone Star State
Yeah we installed one in my parents' house and it works alright. Make sure you have an exposed screw or something to hang it on.

mollywhop

Dick was moist as fuck
OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
those types are a pain in the ass and require at least some signal to exist already...you'll also need to use a decibel meter (or a DM app) to properly install

just buy a femtocell network extender like this that creates a cell signal from the wifi network - I use this:

TS
TS
lugoismad

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
those types are a pain in the ass and require at least some signal to exist already...you'll also need to use a decibel meter (or a DM app) to properly install

just buy a femtocell network extender like this that creates a cell signal from the wifi network - I use this:

We get fine signal outside. Just not inside. House is old and has a lot of plaster and lathe, and the lathe is nailed with these little copper nails. Its basically a faraday cage.

riznat

Mar 29, 2011
Lake Tahoe
Have you talked to your provider? I have TMobile and get no service at my house so they gave me a booster that i plug into my LAN and it has its own little antenna, I had ATT previously and they also gave me a booster. Both were free, id ask your provider first. Oh and it works great, get great reception in the house now.

Reactions: Tommy
TS
TS
lugoismad

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
Have you talked to your provider? I have TMobile and get no service at my house so they gave me a booster that i plug into my LAN and it has its own little antenna, I had ATT previously and they also gave me a booster. Both were free, id ask your provider first. Oh and it works great, get great reception in the house now.

My wife uses Cricket and pays by the month, and my cell phone is through my work.

nine

OT Supporter
Jun 23, 2004
so. cal.

what about when your wifi ISP is down?

TS
TS
lugoismad

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
Have you considered clawing your way out of abject poverty

I think its less poverty to pay $20 a month and buy a new phone out of pocket every other year, than it is to basically take out a loan through a cell phone provider and amortize that over 2 or more years.

mollywhop

Dick was moist as fuck
OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
for rural areas you might be better off getting a backup internet provider, even on DSL, just so you have phone service

or a land line :hs:

I have both at my condo (dsl and landline), my work pays for it so Im not out of service if we have a prolonged power outage or Internet outage. Frontier is the worst telecommunications company in existence FYI

mollywhop

Dick was moist as fuck
OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
Even my main connection is just a point to point system beaming over a connection from the fiber receiver across the lake. I get less than 100 down and they pay like $150 a month for that shit alone

phat

#meltdowns are NOT based off post count
Oct 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I have both at my condo (dsl and landline), my work pays for it so Im not out of service if we have a prolonged power outage or Internet outage. Frontier is the worst telecommunications company in existence FYI

lol you have frontier there too? frontier here is OKAY, customer service sucks, but I get gigabit internet so can't complain too much

TS
TS
lugoismad

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006

Yeah, phone is through frontier here as well. I've tried dealing with them in the past and it was just a massive headache.

phat

#meltdowns are NOT based off post count
Oct 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
make sure you get the correct bands for your provider.

these are the guys I used in the past

mollywhop

Dick was moist as fuck
OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
i'd like to have a decent cell extender for when cell service is my only remaining option for connectivity. would be nice to be portable so i can take it camping too.
WeBoost sells one that works for your vehicle and is pretty cheap. They actually have one that supposedly creates a network within the vehicle itself so anybody in the car gets the signal booster, but it doesnt work very well my experience. The Cheaper original one where you have to put your phone in the cradle works really well though, even in areas with seemingly zero service at all

Reactions: nine

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright 穢 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor