SPORTS Anyone watching the UFC137 press conference?!

turbodude

Just a photographer
OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2002
Las Vegas
Looks like Diaz may be out. He hasnt showed up to any media days and missed lots of flights and hasnt been heard from.

EG6

OT Supporter
Mar 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Dana: Cesar apologizes and says, "I agree with you 100%. We're embarrassed, I've been trying to chase Nick around town. No one can find him"

dengar

seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir!
OT Supporter
Sep 11, 2004
OC NJ
This is really awkward now.
Everyone is just asking GSP where he thinks Nick is or why he would do this.

teddy jam

Platinum Member
Nov 13, 2006
Toronto
Nick Diaz No-Shows UFC 137 Presser, GSP Now to Face Carlos Condit

By Mike Chiappetta MMA Writer

018georgestpierre.jpg
In a stunning development, Nick Diaz has effectively gone missing in action from the UFC, forcing company president Dana White to removed him from a UFC 137 welterweight championship match with Georges St-Pierre.

Diaz will be replaced by Carlos Condit, who was already scheduled to fight on the same night.

Diaz had been scheduled for press conferences Tuesday in Toronto and Wednesday in Las Vegas. White said that Diaz missed a series of flights for his Canada trip, but hasn't heard from him since Monday night after trying to re-book him multiple times.

"I'd had my reservations about Nick Diaz for a long time," White said. "You've heard me use the term 'play the game.' All I asked him for was this much. When he signed, I said, 'Let me tell you what kid, add up all the purses of you career, this will be biggest fight of your life.' You have the opportunity to fight GSP and win the welterweight title. But I need you to do certain things."

Diaz has always been notoriously media averse, but White said in his history of promoting over 1,600 fights, he's never had this happen. St-Pierre, too, was in a state of shock over the situation.

"I just don't understand why someone doesn't show up to an opportunity like this," St. Pierre said. "I just can't believe it. It's amazing. It's crazy."

"He was going to make life-changing money for this fight," White added. "And maybe the thing is with Nick Diaz, maybe he did crack under the pressure. Maybe he folded under the spotlight."

The already shocking press conference turned even more bizarre midway through, when Diaz's manager Cesar Gracie called White as he was on the podium and apologized for Diaz's behavior, saying he has been unable to locate him.

At that, St-Pierre shook his hand.

"Maybe he is here and he is going to come out and say, 'This is a prank,'" St-Pierre said. "Are you trying to prank me?"

White later mentioned that Diaz had been staying with Gracie and snuck out the back door. Since then, he's essentially gone missing.

The St-Pierre vs. Diaz fight was essentially a title unification, with Diaz recently re-signing to the UFC as the reigning Strikeforce champion. Diaz had won 10 straight fights leading up to the GSP matchup, but St-Pierre said he believes Condit is a more dangerous opponent.

"I do believe Carlos Condit is more dangerous than Nick Diaz," he said. "If they fought, I would put my money on Carlos Condit, so for me it's a bigger challenge."

Condit and St-Pierre were both stablemates at Team Greg Jackson, but St-Pierre said he had no issues with facing Condit.

White said that when he called Condit and offered him the title fight, Condit broke down crying in appreciation of the opportunity. White added that Condit immediately got on a plane to head to Las Vegas and meet with the press.

Diaz is 27-5 overall with four straight wins and victories in 12 of his last 13 bouts.

White said the change comes as a "pretty big financial blow" to the UFC, saying the promotion spent over $15,000 just in flights over the last two days. He also said completed advertising would have to be changed, and that tickets went on sale today for the October 29 event. Fans who purchased tickets expecting to see St-Pierre vs. Diaz will have the opportunity to receive a refund, though White said he wasn't expecting many to make those requests.

.Tim

Mar 3, 2005
Oklahoma City
So Cesar went to talk to him, Nick snuck out the back. Nick hasn't talked to his team and won't return calls. Dana said he's probably out of the UFC. Cesar is pissed and apparently will have an interview soon with some not so kind words for Nick. We'll see. I think Nick should be banned from any Zuffa owned organization, I was a big fan but this is a total bitch move. Let him fight for bellator.

teddy jam

Platinum Member
Nov 13, 2006
Toronto
who knows man, maybe he really cracked under the pressure

diaz was a nut case to begin with ...wouldn't be surprised at all, i can see him being the type to go up to some sacred mountains and sit there smoking weed and contemplating about life

.Tim

Mar 3, 2005
Oklahoma City
who knows man, maybe he really cracked under the pressure

diaz was a nut case to begin with ...wouldn't be surprised at all, i can see him being the type to go up to some sacred mountains and sit there smoking weed and contemplating about life

Yeah I think he pulled a Chappelle.

momentum

CAN'T STOP THIS SON!
Jan 2, 2001
San Diego
So Cesar went to talk to him, Nick snuck out the back. Nick hasn't talked to his team and won't return calls. Dana said he's probably out of the UFC. Cesar is pissed and apparently will have an interview soon with some not so kind words for Nick. We'll see. I think Nick should be banned from any Zuffa owned organization, I was a big fan but this is a total bitch move. Let him fight for bellator.
:rofl: what a bitch, he scared homie.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan