SRS Anyone's parents happily remarried after the divorce?

Mazy D.

Ukrainian OG
Oct 10, 2000
Canada
Curious if this helped you deal with your parents splitting up? especially if your step-parent was a decent person?

My friend's marriage is pretty much over, but they have a kid together and he is worried that a divorce will damage her psychologically beyond repair.

I guess he's wondering what's worse for the kid:

staying together so that the kid is "happy" being around unhappy parents that fight on a daily basis
or
dealing with a divorce and possibly becoming a part of a new family in the future (he has no one new on the horizon, but it would help him to know that kids can be happy in a new family)

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
many stayed together until the youngest was out of high school. then divorced.

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
My father in law is on his 4th wife. I don't think they really like each other that much but they are so old now that they are just trying to wait each other out. When my wife was growing up, it was a turnstyle of new step moms and step siblings. I think this is one of the reasons that she does not want kids at all.

• Sad
Reactions: Mazy D.

Jinx

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
"staying together for the kids" is fucking bullshit, and it helps no one. :o if he's concerned, then he needs to make sure the divorce is over as quickly and painlessly as possible.

here's a really good resource for him.

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
The presence of both parents in a home is definitely beneficial, but if they're yelling and screaming at each other nonstop I probably would wonder at what point returns start to diminish.

Reactions: Mazy D. and Jinx

Jinx

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
The presence of both parents in a home is definitely beneficial, but if they're yelling and screaming at each other nonstop I probably would wonder at what point returns start to diminish.
doesn't even have to be yelling and screaming. the tension between fights can be just as bad, if not worse. :o 25 years later, and i still flinch when i hear people starting to raise their voices at each other.

Cashishift

Dec 12, 2000
Omaha, NE
a guy I knew and his wife had a bad relationship... seemed to always be about money.

They divorced, kids were in their teens.. made it work, etc. Then somehow they started dating again.. and the spark that they had was back. They both had their own places, but it was just like they were bf/gf instead of husband and wife.. their entire relationship did a 360. You could tell the difference in right away when you saw him.

All it took was taking the money out of the relationship.

This didn't last long, as he had some undiagnosed medical issues - and passed from them before they could get under control.

• Sad
Reactions: Fifafever

Jinx

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
the remarriage part is a mixed bag. rushing into it so that there can be "stability" for the kid is a little weird, especially since she's 13 :o that sounds like him having potential dependency issues after being married for so long :o i've known some people who have gone on to find their perfect partner that complements everything, and some people date strings of people, hoping to find "the one" :dunno:

i think the biggest part to moving on to a happy marriage is to remove oneself from a situation that is going to make them cold, mean, and bitter before it gets too late.

FritoBandito

Gol Meember
OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2003
Kalifornia
Mom married 4 times. Dad 3 times. None of that affected me as much as any of their other defects. In fact their divorce while no doubt difficult for them was a relief for me and my brother. They tried very hard to put on a good show for us but the tension while they were together was obvious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mazy D. and Jinx

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026