TECH ARC vs optical

Napkin

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2005
So new TV has eACR but my receiver is only the older ARC standard, so would it be worth it to go to that over optical i'm using now? is it even compatible eARC to ARC?

Jumpem

OT Supporter
Oct 9, 2002
Use ARC.

Does your receiver even support 4K, HDR, or Dolby Vision? Are all of your video sources connected directly to the TV?

Reactions: Napkin

phat🐄

#meltdowns are NOT based off post count
Oct 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
been just using optical for so long i have no clue about ARC really.
I want the best HD audio possible!
Great. In that case, you CANNOT use an Optical or Coaxial cable for your audio. Well, you can, but you won’t be getting the full HD bitstream. Or, you might – kind of.

Basically, no one knows exactly, because it depends on your equipment and (apparently) the standard implemented for your S/PDIF jacks in your blu-ray player and amplifier.

What we do know is that the bandwidth for S/PDIF Optical and Coax cables is not nearly as high as that of an HDMI cable, and thus if you want the best possible quality, ditch your optical and coax cables for transporting digital audio from your blu-ray player to your amplifier.

TS
TS
Napkin

Napkin

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2005
Use ARC.

Does your receiver even support 4K, HDR, or Dolby Vision? Are all of your video sources connected directly to the TV?
I don't have any video sources so it would only be for audio to the receiver. Also when i do get a ps5, that will be connected directly to the TV as well to take advantage of HDMI 2.1

HipHopHead

My flow spill like using the wrong end of a funnel
Jul 18, 2001
Minnesota
It varies depending on your exact equipment but in general optical and original ARC support pretty much the same formats AFAIK (up to DTS 5.1). If you want to use anything higher up then that you would need HDMI.

Cliffs: It's not going to make a difference for you except for just having one less cable and remote with ARC.

Reactions: XR250rdr and Napkin
TS
TS
Napkin

Napkin

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2005
It varies depending on your exact equipment but in general optical and original ARC support pretty much the same formats AFAIK (up to DTS). If you want to use anything higher up then that you would need HDMI.

Cliffs: It's not going to make a difference for you except for just having one less cable and remote with ARC.
That's the main reason for asking, but I didn't want to have worse audio with ARC over optical if it was worse. Also if eARC worked with ARC

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan