GUN Army Officer Help

WaWaMKIVDub

Feb 13, 2007
Bel Air, MD
Hey guys, I am prior enlisted, 13F, came out as a PFC. I am thinking about re-enlisting and going officer. I don't have any college under my belt at the moment, so am wondering what path I can take to get where I want to be. Any help at all would be great :bigthumb:

ggr12

OT Supporter
Aug 31, 2003
NoCo
NG and/or ROTC would be a good way. You're not going to get a commission without a degree nowadays.

TS
TS

WaWaMKIVDub

Feb 13, 2007
Bel Air, MD
I have been consider NG as an option too. Ive heard there's a program where basically you are in the guard and you pretty much go to school full time, and even if your unit deploys you can still stay and finish up school. That may be my best option, because I think the ROTC programs where I live will be too hard to get into. Didn't have the best GPA in high school, and never took the SAT.

Nhubie

OT Supporter
Jun 13, 2004
MPLS, MN
yeah, it is pretty much degree in hand for ocs these days. Your best bet is ROTC. Considering that you are 25, West Point is probably out of the question.

NEp8ntballer

Mar 22, 2006
I don't know about West Point, but after interacting with some USAFA grads you'd probably be much better off going through ROTC if they are any indication of the other service academies.

Maffy29

Jan 5, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I have been consider NG as an option too. Ive heard there's a program where basically you are in the guard and you pretty much go to school full time, and even if your unit deploys you can still stay and finish up school. That may be my best option, because I think the ROTC programs where I live will be too hard to get into. Didn't have the best GPA in high school, and never took the SAT.

Yes, its called the Simultaneous Membership Program or SMP. You are going to school as a contract cadet with an ROTC program. In order to do that, you need to be in an ROTC program.

My unit has 3 SMP Cadets right now. One is pretty good and should be a decent officer someday. He's not in my platoon, but I'd take orders from him as if he were an officer. The other two, females, look like they are just along for the free college ride.

One guy in my unit made one of them cry once. It was funny.

Last edited:

murdok311

Jan 13, 2007
ATX
I am a product of the SMP program, right now a 1LT in the USAR, Engineer.

I would say hands down ROTC will prepare you better for being an officer, the financial benefits are better and the training system is better (2-3 years to learn vs a compressed 10 weeks)

Outcomes depend on how you look at it, after CPT the commissioning source doesn't matter- because your OES should have taught you but you will need other credentials to succeed and that depends on your long term goals.

ask yourself this and then figure out how it fits into your goals

what degree are you getting- how does that fit in with my branch? how does that fit in with being an XO, CO, Staff Officer, BN CDR, BDE Staff/XO , BDE CDR

How long will I stay in, AD? USAR? NG? all have their benefits and promote just as fast.

If I get out- where does that leave me?

Keep in mind- there is going to be a massive shift in qualifications soon, both Officer and NCO--- basically right now there is a lot of excess and redundant commands and generals at the top and now there are a lot of excess new LT's leaving the shortage at senior captain and major level.

It's no longer a big dick contest, it is purely a game of politics.. get used to pomp and circumstance if you want to do well.

Good Luck

Maffy29

Jan 5, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Before I forget, if at some point during your SMP time that you decide that ROTC or being an officer isn't for you, you will still have a contract to complete.

Had an SMP Cadet when I was in the EN Bn. Dude was a dick. Something caused him to leave ROTC and next drill weekend came along and he was a PFC.

While I'm sure you are an upstanding guy and will complete ROTC, but its something to keep in mind.

JSin

Jan 6, 2005
it's because ROTC allows you to have the full college experience instead of going to whatever you want to call a service academy.

So the argument is that being able to have the "full college experience" makes a better officer? Okay.

1. That makes no sense.
2. You are completely forgetting about a commissioning source that does a better job at that than ROTC.

NEp8ntballer

Mar 22, 2006
So the argument is that being able to have the "full college experience" makes a better officer? Okay.

1. That makes no sense.
2. You are completely forgetting about a commissioning source that does a better job at that than ROTC.

a. the amount of control an ROTC cadet has over their life is much more akin to life outside of college and vastly different from life at a service academy. I wasn't confined to my campus, had to sign out, or get a pass to leave.
b. I could get drunk every night, skip class, sleep in class, party any time I wanted to, etc
c. let's also not forget that the majority of graduates are either socially inept or raging alcoholics which seems to be a byproduct of going there and the environment that they are in which keeps them wound excessively tight so when they do let loose shit gets ridiculous.

and I'm hoping you're talking about OCS/OTS, which is only an option if this induvidual already had their degree.

TS
TS

WaWaMKIVDub

Feb 13, 2007
Bel Air, MD
I had a quick chat with a National Guard recruiter. I think I am going to go into the NG and take some classes while in. I really don't have the time to attend college as a full time student. My wife and I have too many bills to focus 100% on school. Plus I am in the middle of joining the police department, so my plate will be full with that for a while too.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor