As a construction project manager, this is my nightmare "Three dead in building collapse..."

Faithless

щ(゚Д゚щ)
Feb 11, 2001
Houston, TX

Watch live: Three dead, one injured in west Houston building collapse
The building near I-10 and Beltway 8 is slated to be Marathon Oil's new headquarters.

b7eb760a-59f5-410b-825d-bc848cf10027_1920x1080.jpg

HOUSTON — A building collapse in west Houston Monday left three people dead and another person injured.

The injured victim was rescued and taken to a nearby hospital, according to the Houston Fire Department. Their condition is unknown at this time.

All 240 construction workers have now been accounted for.

The 15-story building is under construction near the intersection of Interstate 10 and the Beltway.

According to HFD, the building's stairwell collapsed. Inspectors said the building itself is not in danger of collapsing, but they are worried about a secondary collapse in the stairwell.

The high-rise at in the 990 block of Town and Country Boulevard is slated to be Marathon Oil's new headquarters in 2021.

We have a crew at the scene gathering more details.

This is a developing story. Check back for any updates. Download the KHOU 11 News app and enable alerts to receive instant notifications on this breaking story.

• Sad
Reactions: ///TRASH

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
Had something like this happen to me and I'm not even in construction.

I was having a bunch of work done installing brand new video conferencing hardware installed in a large conference room and one of the installers was not being safe while installing a 98" screen, fell off of a ladder, and managed to break his neck. Dude might never walk again.

• Wow
Reactions: yonson and Wolf

Zach

OT Supporter
May 30, 2003
A lot of contractors precast their stairs. I've seen some absurdly heavy designs for them. Scary sutff

Wolf

Slow Suicide's No Way To Go
OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2003
San Jose, CA
Had something like this happen to me and I'm not even in construction.

I was having a bunch of work done installing brand new video conferencing hardware installed in a large conference room and one of the installers was not being safe while installing a 98" screen, fell off of a ladder, and managed to break his neck. Dude might never walk again.
Seeing stuff like this makes you realize how fragile we are and how quickly we can go from living to dead.

Not even risky activities or living in dangerous areas, etc... just random occurrence, and poof. :dunno:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor