TECH ATT fiber internet crew - 2gbit and 5gbit speeds now live in many markets

Cashishift

Dec 12, 2000
Omaha, NE
I don't think it's a technology limit, rather a decision the cable operators make to heavily bias it in favor of download speeds. Download speeds sell. I think with Spectrum their gigabit download tier only has a 35 Mbit upload.
I have Cox's highest tier.. "Gigablast" and its 1024 down, and i think 30 up.

sad.

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
does your router have a 2gb interface? i'm sure most people will use AT&Ts router, but if you are using your own, you'll need to make sure it can handle more than 1gb or else you are wasting money/bandwidth.

I'm using their garbage router/gateway and they're bringing a new one out to me on Thursday. Anything bandwidth intensive is hardwired and on a 10gb switch.

Cashishift

Dec 12, 2000
Omaha, NE
which ubiquiti gateway are you using? i don't use ubiquiti gateways but a family member does have gigabit comcast and gigabit att and if they were to upgrade to 2gb or higher att fiber, they would need a new gateway as theirs can only handle 1gb on the WAN links.
Even the new SE - only has 2.5gb wan links iirc.

GH0ST

OT Supporter
Jul 5, 2003
GA
ATT has been throttling Plex traffic for me. Annoying as fuck. I can only stream 4Mbps :ugh: This happened about two years ago too around this same time of the year.

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
ATT has been throttling Plex traffic for me. Annoying as fuck. I can only stream 4Mbps :ugh: This happened about two years ago too around this same time of the year.

use a VPN from your device to your house then att shouldn't be able to see what it is.

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
Even the new SE - only has 2.5gb wan links iirc.

i don't see why you'd need more than 1gb unless it was a money to bandwidth thing. 2.5gb, if the price was right, sure i guess it would be worth the jump as long as your equipment could handle 2.5.

if i had 1gb att fiber i'd be happy. i'm happy with comcast (service) but the cap sucks.

Cashishift

Dec 12, 2000
Omaha, NE
i don't see why you'd need more than 1gb unless it was a money to bandwidth thing. 2.5gb, if the price was right, sure i guess it would be worth the jump as long as your equipment could handle 2.5.

if i had 1gb att fiber i'd be happy. i'm happy with comcast (service) but the cap sucks.
For me - I just have a standard UDM and the non pro series 48 port switch. so no 10G here.

Couldnt justify the cost.

Alias

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2004
California _____________
Not available :hs:

I only have 2 options where I live... Comcast, which is trash, and this other local fiber option but I can only get 100mbit down/up. I WFH so I need reliable and faster uploads so the latter is the obvious choice, but a little jelly of people with gig+ internet :hs:

Reactions: whatever

GH0ST

OT Supporter
Jul 5, 2003
GA
use a VPN from your device to your house then att shouldn't be able to see what it is.

It works fine with VPN, that's how I figured it out, along with it only being Plex traffic that is throttled. It's so weird because last time it happened it just magically started working again.

TS
TS
Smahatma

Smahatma

OT Supporter
Dec 23, 2003
Gullyfornia
which ubiquiti gateway are you using? i don't use ubiquiti gateways but a family member does have gigabit comcast and gigabit att and if they were to upgrade to 2gb or higher att fiber, they would need a new gateway as theirs can only handle 1gb on the WAN links.
UDM Pro SE

Will bridge the ATT router (can’t be bypassed easily — does connection authentication). Their BGW-320 router has a 5gbe lan port, which I’ll connect to the UDM 10gb SFP WAN port with Ethernet transceiver

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
Not available :hs:

I only have 2 options where I live... Comcast, which is trash, and this other local fiber option but I can only get 100mbit down/up. I WFH so I need reliable and faster uploads so the latter is the obvious choice, but a little jelly of people with gig+ internet :hs:

100/100 is so much better than 300/10

Faikius

Jul 2, 2003
Tomball, TX
Wonder what the in-house / on prem hardware looks like for this? Assuming fiber all the way to the device, then 2.5 / 5.0 GBe plus SFP?

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
UDM Pro SE

Will bridge the ATT router (can’t be bypassed easily — does connection authentication). Their BGW-320 router has a 5gbe lan port, which I’ll connect to the UDM 10gb SFP WAN port with Ethernet transceiver

i hate tweaking at&t gateways to pass thru to the customer owned router. at&t needs to fix the firmware to allow bridge mode with one button, just like comcast. they can figure it out, but they really have no reason to.

Faikius

Jul 2, 2003
Tomball, TX
UDM Pro SE

Interesting; I have the BGW-210. It was the only device I could find that would pass-through to my Ubiquiti setup at full speed.

ssabripo

Aug 27, 2002
Ultras Sur™
My property fucking SUCKS on this. Hotwire communications drew the fiber lines into the property when it started construction,and now we are handcuffed to them :ugh: :jerkit:

We pay $100/mo for 1GB up, 200k down.... which isn't totally bad.

but fuck this horseshit of ATT having 2gb up/down for the same price :hsd:

4ESgeG9.png

Faikius

Jul 2, 2003
Tomball, TX
My property fucking SUCKS on this. Hotwire communications drew the fiber lines into the property when it started construction,and now we are handcuffed to them :ugh: :jerkit:

4ESgeG9.png

That's not terrible unless you're hosting a server or uploading 4k content to the cloud. I've got GBe up / down, but almost never upload. More is always better though.

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
That's not terrible unless you're hosting a server or uploading 4k content to the cloud. I've got GBe up / down, but almost never upload. More is always better though.

i use backblaze and i'd prefer higher upload to send files for backup faster. also, when i'm off site i like to use plex and a higher upload does help with that.

Faikius

Jul 2, 2003
Tomball, TX
i use backblaze and i'd prefer higher upload to send files for backup faster. also, when i'm off site i like to use plex and a higher upload does help with that.

Fair enough. I don't have enough non-cloud-native data to bother with offsite backups IMHO, and never got into content hosting. Definitely see the use case though.

Divine

OT Supporter
Dec 31, 2004
Charlotte
Spectrum and AT&T offer 1gbps here and Google Fiber has 2gb.

If AT&T offers 5gb for a reasonable price I would jump on it

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004

4ESgeG9.png

boooohooooo

im at 105 a month for 300/10

• Wow
Reactions: ssabripo

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
digimarkacbataan