Avalanche

amill94

OT ELITE iirc
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003

"Today we were riding in the uintas, the snow was great up high and it was finally feeling like we had some base. I have been riding sleds in this particular area since I was 8 years old. I am very familiar with the area. My brother and I were playing on the side of a hill in the a tree area where have have ridden 30-40 times in years past.. (Right side of the video). We had 3 other friends and one younger below in the flats. As I finished recording my brother playing in the pow, the mountain shook. My original thought was... earthquake. Than it it me, avalanche. As I turned and looked up I could see the snow wave coming. My brothers back was turned and I screamed avalanche as loud as I could. Now here comes my mistake #1. I pulled my klim avalanche backpack and boom, nothing happened. I hadn’t turned it on. A second later the snow hit and the swimming started. Somehow I only moved about 20 yards and stayed on top of the snow (MIRACLE) . Only being buried to my lower chest I dug myself out. My little brothers sled was running and I could hear the yelling on the radio. I could hear someone in the trees, but I couldn’t figure out where. I ran to my brothers sled and turned it off. I now could hear him screaming my name. Mistake #2 had I not been able to hear his voice I would of been lost. My beacon, probe, and shovel were all in my backpack but I would of had no clue what to do first. Let me tell you There is no worse feeling than having your little brother buried. I followed his voice and saw the top of his black helmet and his voice and started digging. About 60 seconds later I had his face uncovered. He was okay. Than came the radio chatter, where is everyone at? Was everyone okay? We didn’t realize it but the avalanche had also triggered even bigger on the other side of trees where we were. My youngest brother was able to out run it so was one of our other friends. Our 2 other friends both got hit with the wave on the FLATS. Craig and his sled were both buried. Craig got his shoot off in time, which ultimately probably saved his life."

rcm

Bully Troll Crew
OT Supporter
Dec 30, 2004
Been a lot of avalanche deaths in last few weeks. I keep seeing headlines.

B-Line

*****d[-_-]b*****
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
I was on Mammoth when the avalanche hit chair 5 a few years ago. I missed it by about .30.
I had gotten off Chair 10 and was headed to Canyon. By the time I got to Canyon, all the chairs were stopped.
I had been lapping chair 5 for the last hour before it happened.

Capt. Hammer

Purveyor of Bespoke Photoshop ROFLs and LOLs
OT Supporter
Jun 14, 2003
The Lone Star State
Instead of digging my brother out, I'm going to make a video for instagram instead while he's immobilized

4DFeaH2.png

Type2

Suck my Amex
OT Supporter
Apr 26, 2002
Porky's
I was on Mammoth when the avalanche hit chair 5 a few years ago. I missed it by about .30.
I had gotten off Chair 10 and was headed to Canyon. By the time I got to Canyon, all the chairs were stopped.
I had been lapping chair 5 for the last hour before it happened.

I remember that. I wasn’t up there at the time.

rcm

Bully Troll Crew
OT Supporter
Dec 30, 2004
Wasn't there some OTer who was avalanche prevention crew

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor