B-Tree files

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SLED, Aug 14, 2006.

1. SLED

SLED custom title

I have an old school customer who wrote his application back in the DOS days and hasn't upgraded his data storage methods since. He has some sort of "b-tree" files, as he explains, that he queries with some C++ code. I semi-remember these from college, but was curious if any of you know of some utilities out there so I can at least look at the files, and maybe export to a text file or something. Any chance? Are they even standardized?

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

What are you trying to accomplish by "looking" at the file? Unless the file was written as a binary file, you can simply open it up using any text editor but you are not likely to understand what you are looking at.

Well a B Tree is a well known data/file structure but there are also variants that people will call B Trees (such as B+ Tree, B* Trees, etc). However, all of these provide very flexible structures in which to store data. Given the enormous flexibility, I doubt you will find a program that will allow you to just read his files, you'd have to know more information about the actual structure of the B Tree.

But a programmer can easily write one if you know a few things about how the data is stored (I assume you aren't a programmer because you don't know what these are). Do you have access to the source code that creates the files or the C++ code to query the files?? That would be where I would start if I were to write this program. Afterall, if you know how the file is written, you can easily write a program to view the data in it.

3. SLED

SLED custom title

I am a programmer, with limited knowledge about these files. I understand what a b-tree structure is, and how the logic works. However, I have this binary file which supposedly contains data records. I do not have access to the source code (long story). I guess I am curious that if I can give a tool information like field lengths in bytes, if it could break the data out for me. Basically, I'm needing to trasnfer this data to a relational database.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Tell the guy you have to see the C++ code. Tell him it will cust the development time in half at least, and it may be impossible to update his database without seeing the code.

EDIT: Alternately, tell the guy to query his entire database from beginning to end and give you comma-separated text files with all the data in it. (you may need more than one text file if the database is big enough.)

5. SLED

SLED custom title

Unfortunately this is a situation where either I have to pay him to export it for me, or figure it out by myself. He wants to charge me for 20 days of man hours :ugh: So I'm stuck with figuring it out myself. I'm assuming if I have the record byte offsets, then the rest will be easy?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

7. fr00t

fr00t New Member

Sounds like he's being intentionally vague so he can charge you for the hours :eek3:

8. SLED

SLED custom title

:werd: It's all how you play the game.