background color on icons messed up

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ChaosTheory, Feb 20, 2006.

1. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory New Member

i have windows xp, and a few weeks ago my computer became really screwed up with adware and other junk. when it first happened my background changed to a picture i had used a while back, and would occasionaly change to just a solid color. my background color for my icons where the text is also changed. it is whatever color i have selected under display->desktop->color. so now i cant figure out how to put it back to a transparent color so it doesnt look wierd. the other accounts on the computer werent affected and are still normal. i found one website that showed how to set it to transparent but what it told me to do was already done ie checking a certain box in some display options.. i also tried downloading winfx like the site recommended and i had the program put the color to be transparent and even after i applied it it still stayed the same color.

does anyone know how to fix it. i would really appreciate it.

2. Zak8022

Zak8022 Active Member

First things first... are you sure you have succesfully removed all adware/spyware/viruses that may be on your computer? It sounds to me like there's still something there not allowing you to fix your tranceparancy problem.

3. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory New Member

i used adaware, and spybot, i also installed a virus protection/firewall and what not that we got from staples. and im pretty sure everything is removed now.

4. monolith

monolith The cats are brown now! OT Supporter

Check your drop shadows:

Control Panel > System > Advanced Tab > Performance Settings > Click " Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" and select Ok

5. Boogieman117

Boogieman117 PSN: Boogieman117

Just for shits and giggles, do a run with Kaspersky's online scanner.

That's rule number one after AdAware/Spybot sweeps. Did you run HiJackThis by chance?