GUN BAH for the single sailor.

dmcgill

Jul 31, 2006
California
H O L Y fucking shit...I now see why so many people in the Navy committed BAH fraud.

I don't know how it is for other branches, but so you guys know...in the Navy to get BAH you have to either be married, single with custody of your kids, E4 over 4 or E5-up. I routed my BAH chit on November 29th. Before I could do that though, I had to receive in-depth "financial counseling" where I meet with an E6 in my department who has to see ALL of my bills, has to know how much money is currently in my checking and savings, how much I spend a day/week/month on everything from toiletries to vending machines (and everything in between), has to know my CREDIT SCORE....and a host of other things but this is where I get pissed off with that so I'll stop.

Also, I must provide a current utility bill at the place I'm residing (so yes, they expect you to move out in town and pay almost a thousand dollars a month as an E4 out of your pocket, FIRST), LES, lease contract and some other shit. The packet has to be signed off from every one in your department and all the way up to the CO, then, you have to take it over to the BEQ manager on base and have him sign it, then back to the ship's personnel office to drop it off and wait for it to go up. On AVERAGE, as it varies for each case it seems, you will have to pay rent out of your own pocket for anywhere from 2-6 months (that's the longest I've heard of) before your BAH actually starts.

I'm just curious, but are all the branches this fucked up when it comes to getting BAH as a single dude? What are the requirements for the Army/Air Force/Marine Corps?

clever_username

OT Supporter
Jul 8, 2005
Oklahoma City
i didn't have anywhere near that much trouble. just put in a request chit and about a month later i was gettin paid. this was in 2005, i was an E-5 in norfolk, stationed on the Truman.

NisAznMonk

Dec 1, 2001
Houston, Tx
I'm just curious, but are all the branches this fucked up when it comes to getting BAH as a single dude? What are the requirements for the Army/Air Force/Marine Corps?

single dude in the USAF just has to meet the qualifications to move out of the dorms. Normally that is hitting E-4 with at least 3yrs TIS. Of course they could push an E-3 out of the dorms if the base needs the room. (which is what happened to me).

After that the First Shirt helps the Airman go through a short checklist, and that is it. You can even get an advance of up to 1-month base pay if needed. Repayment terms are normally 12 months, but can go up to 24 months with commander's signature (I did that).

Blackfox

Mar 24, 2008
Whoa that's pretty crazy. All I did was get a form from my S-1 to apply for BAH, filled it out and gave it to finance and that was that. (Army)

widds2v

Jan 5, 2005
Coronado, CA
Don't let your command be your image of the entire Navy.

When I got to San Diego as an E5.. it was just route a chit with a copy of my lease. Financial counseling was non-existent. They figure by the time you're an E5 you have your shit in order.

widds2v

Jan 5, 2005
Coronado, CA
In fact I wouldn't have even allowed that detailed financial analysis to happen. The counseling is a form that asks none of that. The most detail it gets into is figuring out your debt/income ratio which you'll have to reveal how much debt you have.. however it would be an overall number.. not what your spending habits are or where you are in debt to.

If it was just your departmental CFS I would have gone above him/her to whatever chief/officer runs the command and do it with them.

TS
TS
dmcgill

dmcgill

Jul 31, 2006
California
In fact I wouldn't have even allowed that detailed financial analysis to happen. The counseling is a form that asks none of that. The most detail it gets into is figuring out your debt/income ratio which you'll have to reveal how much debt you have.. however it would be an overall number.. not what your spending habits are or where you are in debt to.

If it was just your departmental CFS I would have gone above him/her to whatever chief/officer runs the command and do it with them.
I did go to the Chief, it's not that I really cared...because all my shit is in order and there's nothing degrading to me about it, but I just think it's completely fucking unnecessary. It's not like if I can't pay my bills all of a sudden because I move out in town the Navy is going to have to pay for it. It's completely going to fall back on me. All the Navy will get is a letter of indebtedness addressed to the Commanding Officer of my command.

It is for a reason I suppose though, thanks a lot to all those shitbags before me who ruined it for everyone.

FarBeyondDriven

Sep 10, 2003
Kailua, HI
They've started similar shit in my command recently. It's not going to be very long before we have to route a request chit to take a shit and bring along a chief to make sure we wiped our asses properly.

widds2v

Jan 5, 2005
Coronado, CA
The 'process' of starting BAH has nothing to do with BAH fraud btw. That has more to do with people moving out of their apartments during deployments and still collecting BAH, claiming dependants for the higher BAH rate, two married people collecting full BAH, etc.

tan koi

My command kept it pretty simple actually.

Single?...BAH NOT YOURS!

Once the barracks was beyond capacity, they took packages from E4 and up and approved on a case by case basis and that process usually took like 5 months for the paper work to pass through everyone it needed to.

The army enjoys doing that too, unless you're an E6.

An 18 year old cumdumpster/depositor with an out of state kid can get BAH/on-post housing, but E5s can't if there's room in the barracks :rofl:

mrduke

Jun 1, 2004
WA
Yeah, that's definitely just your command. E4 and below that want BAH in my command do a financial counseling and route the chit. It goes up to the base CMC and he approves it based on barracks manning. I want to say that when the barracks is at 95% they start approving chits. If they're not overmanned, the chit simply sits in the stack until they get to it.

There are quite a few single E4 and below collecting BAH.

LTJfan513

Feb 17, 2005
Whale's Vagina
H O L Y fucking shit...I now see why so many people in the Navy committed BAH fraud.

I don't know how it is for other branches, but so you guys know...in the Navy to get BAH you have to either be married, single with custody of your kids, E4 over 4 or E5-up. I routed my BAH chit on November 29th. Before I could do that though, I had to receive in-depth "financial counseling" where I meet with an E6 in my department who has to see ALL of my bills, has to know how much money is currently in my checking and savings, how much I spend a day/week/month on everything from toiletries to vending machines (and everything in between), has to know my CREDIT SCORE....and a host of other things but this is where I get pissed off with that so I'll stop.

Also, I must provide a current utility bill at the place I'm residing (so yes, they expect you to move out in town and pay almost a thousand dollars a month as an E4 out of your pocket, FIRST), LES, lease contract and some other shit. The packet has to be signed off from every one in your department and all the way up to the CO, then, you have to take it over to the BEQ manager on base and have him sign it, then back to the ship's personnel office to drop it off and wait for it to go up. On AVERAGE, as it varies for each case it seems, you will have to pay rent out of your own pocket for anywhere from 2-6 months (that's the longest I've heard of) before your BAH actually starts.

It varies by command on how much of a pain in the ass it is. My roommate just hit e-4 over 4 and he has had a hell of a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor