FIT barbell complexes for cardio

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimstone

magic murda bag
OT Supporter
Sep 28, 2004
atx
the treadmill and elliptical make me want to bash me head in when i do them. so i started doing complexes for cardio. has anybody done them for that purpose and had success. right now im doing 135lbs 5 sets of 5 reps powerclean + push press with 1min rest in between. i plan on adding front squats and oh squats later on. i eventaullay want to get to power clean + front squat + push press + oh squat. any thoughts?

Ceaze

he/him
Jun 4, 2000
the treadmill and elliptical make me want to bash me head in when i do them. so i started doing complexes for cardio. has anybody done them for that purpose and had success. right now im doing 135lbs 5 sets of 5 reps powerclean + push press with 1min rest in between. i plan on adding front squats and oh squats later on. i eventaullay want to get to power clean + front squat + push press + oh squat. any thoughts?

yes, lower the weight

mandrew

Aug 25, 2008
S.F.
word.. 45-55lbs is good if you want to do a really hard complex... like 10 reps each of 6 different exercises, wait a minute, do it again, repeat until you feel like yackin. It's not strength training so 135 is counterproductive to the purpose of complexes even for elite athletes (from what I've read anyway)

4cd-Air

This user is longer available
Oct 4, 2001
here's a regressive complex...

95lb Olympic bar

oly snatch x 10
oly clean x 10
oly high pull x 10
deadlift x 10
shrug x 10

you could make up nearly unlimited combos for a complex, but the trick is choosing moves that blend well and regulating your rest periods.

this would be a great thread for me to go on and on about kettlebells, by the way...

archangel

May 18, 2000
Dallas, TX
here's a regressive complex...

95lb Olympic bar

oly snatch x 10
oly clean x 10
oly high pull x 10
deadlift x 10
shrug x 10

you could make up nearly unlimited combos for a complex, but the trick is choosing moves that blend well and regulating your rest periods.

this would be a great thread for me to go on and on about kettlebells, by the way...

How are complexes different from say other routines you see fighters do like Rich franklin and sean sherk? Is it different than metabolic conditioning?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G61d0feaIg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq7Kdv0RHmc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_e1xnYx6EY

4cd-Air

Oct 4, 2001
How are complexes different from say other routines you see fighters do like Rich franklin and sean sherk? Is it different than metabolic conditioning?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G61d0feaIg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq7Kdv0RHmc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_e1xnYx6EY

First link is hardcore man shit...have not seen that vid before, great find. Sean Sherk is a fuckin cardio monster.

Second and third vid are more closely linked to what complexes should be like. Those are geared for fighters with sets split into round times, but either way the idea is the same. Most non-fighters would do something similar to the second vid with Rich Franklin because it involves a lot of standard gym equipment and familiar moves.

I like the dumbell spins in the third vid too, my clients are gonna be doing that shit next week for sure.

I think that the threadstarter was looking for something a little less intense, with more of a strength aspect, but either way, these vids are good examples.

4cd-Air

Oct 4, 2001
Also the second vid with Rich Franklin has a unilateral hip sled where each leg moves independantly... would love to have that

archangel

May 18, 2000
Dallas, TX
Yea I really like doing cardio involving free weights and circuit type training. It's a break from sprints and running. I vary it up but a routine of mine will look like this

3 rounds
Turkish getups
dumbell thrusters
Burpees
DB swings
bear crawls
medicine ball throws
4 - 6 sprints 1:2

I'm still trying to learn more on how to do this type of cardio. I did crossfit for a while and that was cool. And yea I am going to try the DB spins...looks like it will shred up your CORE!

First link is hardcore man shit...have not seen that vid before, great find. Sean Sherk is a fuckin cardio monster.

Second and third vid are more closely linked to what complexes should be like. Those are geared for fighters with sets split into round times, but either way the idea is the same. Most non-fighters would do something similar to the second vid with Rich Franklin because it involves a lot of standard gym equipment and familiar moves.

I like the dumbell spins in the third vid too, my clients are gonna be doing that shit next week for sure.

I think that the threadstarter was looking for something a little less intense, with more of a strength aspect, but either way, these vids are good examples.

TS
TS
grimstone

grimstone

magic murda bag
OT Supporter
Sep 28, 2004
atx
The Bear is basically five lifts in one, but with some subtle differences in how I piece them together. It's comprised of the following:
1) Power clean (from the hang position usually, but it can also be done from the floor)
2) Front squat
3) Push press (from front of shoulders)
4) Back squat
5) Push press (from behind the shoulders)

gubment cheese

Jan 19, 2004
South Bend
i'd like to try this out

since you aren't lifting lots of weight, do you think it'd be ok to do inbetween reg lifitng days?
i.e. Mon - Legs; Tues - this stuff; Wed - Chest etc, etc...?

4cd-Air

Oct 4, 2001
i'd like to try this out

since you aren't lifting lots of weight, do you think it'd be ok to do inbetween reg lifitng days?
i.e. Mon - Legs; Tues - this stuff; Wed - Chest etc, etc...?

your "regular" lifting days would suffer as a result

gotta line up your goals with the workout you are doing

these complexes = great endurance and cardio, but not strength or hypertrophy

Ceaze

he/him
Jun 4, 2000

Except they're in the ring all day building their endurance........ then they go to the gym and train endurance.

TS
TS
grimstone

grimstone

magic murda bag
OT Supporter
Sep 28, 2004
atx
my plan right now
mon-lift
tues-complex
weds-complex
thurs-complex
fri-lift

im just trying to drop some fat and keep strength around where it is now.

M2k

OT Supporter
Apr 5, 2002
TX
I did back today and decided to try finishing my workout off with....

Complex one

Deadlift, 6 reps
Romanian deadlift, 6 reps
Bent over row, 6 reps
Power clean, 6 reps
Front squat, 6 reps
Push press, 6 reps
Back squat, 6 reps
Good morning, 6 reps

My body didnt react well to it and I shit my pants a little. Not a solid stool, but a dribble out my asscrack. Except for the mudbutt, it really kicked my ass and I'm gonna try to find a way to workthem into my week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor