Basic tool recommendations for the average homeowner

DrewDown

Jan 4, 2006
Tucson
I’m basically starting over and looking for recommendations on specific brands/tools that the everyday homeowner should have. Screwdrivers, vice grips, wire cutters, stuff like that. As well as ways to keep them organized instead of just throwing them in the deep drawers. Looking for the value stuff. I don’t need Snap-On but also don’t want a garage full of Harbor Freight tools.

I already saw a thread about cordless drills and am planning to go with Milwaukee since my Ryobi battery took a shit anyway. Minus well start fresh there as well

Reactions: pathOFdisaster
TS
TS
DrewDown

DrewDown

Jan 4, 2006
Tucson
I’ve got these deeper drawers and it doesn’t make sense to just lay what little tools I have flat. Even if I have the room now.

0FV88Kb.jpg

Tenny

OT Supporter
Oct 4, 2005
Houston
I’ve got these deeper drawers and it doesn’t make sense to just lay what little tools I have flat. Even if I have the room now.

0FV88Kb.jpg
Put power tools in there.

I went with Rigid because of their lifetime warranty (batteries included). Milwaukie is the better stuff, but the warranty won me over.

BF Sales are right around the corner, i'm sure you can get a good package of power tools for cheap.

Tenny

OT Supporter
Oct 4, 2005
Houston
Go to Lowe’s and grab a box of assorted Craftsman stuff. You just said you don’t need fancy tools.
Honestly this.

Then any tools that you need to use all the time, upgrade to a better brand like Wera or something. For the most part these do just fine.

TS
TS
DrewDown

DrewDown

Jan 4, 2006
Tucson
Honestly this.

Then any tools that you need to use all the time, upgrade to a better brand like Wera or something. For the most part these do just fine.

Well I definitely want some not shitty vise grips and a new screwdriver set.

TS
TS
DrewDown

DrewDown

Jan 4, 2006
Tucson
harbor freight tools are more than enough for your needs

True. Okay I’m changing the direction and now asking for what types of tools should I have on hand? Channel locks, screwdrivers, etc? I’m seriously basically starting from scratch. I can pick stuff up as I identify needs but sometimes it’s nice to have the basics before you’re balls deep in a project.

CPTMULLER

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
True. Okay I’m changing the direction and now asking for what types of tools should I have on hand? Channel locks, screwdrivers, etc? I’m seriously basically starting from scratch. I can pick stuff up as I identify needs but sometimes it’s nice to have the basics before you’re balls deep in a project.
Klein/whatever brand 12 in 1 screwdriver for the kitchen junk drawer
Some sort of 3/8ths socket set + wrenches prob gear wrench or craftsman if you're too good for harbor freight
a couple sizes of knipex channel locks
Klien basic electrical stuff (one of those idiot voltage detectors/linesman pliers/wire strippers/etc)
a decent flashlight
milwaukee fuel drill/impact/circ saw/whatever else you use
speed square
a couple measuring tapes
a big bit set and ratcheting screwdriver (wera shit ideally)
a basic pliers/wire cutters assortment
a couple sizes of adjustable wrenches

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan