MIL Becoming an officer questions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Gundam, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Gundam

Gundam Tell Drama he's on my to do list, right after inse

It's always been a desire of mines to join the military, but I never followed through with it. I have a BS in Criminal Justice, i've been through a POST certified police academy, and worked as a police officer for a short period of time. Right now I'm working a lame job with mediocre pay and I'm looking to shake things up. Ever since I posted up my resume on Monster, I've been getting emails from the Marines pushing me to go through their officer program. But before I get serious, I wanted to see what you guys know before I actually talk to a recruiter.

1. Assuming I make it through the program, what can I expect to get paid as a new officer? I was talking to an acquiantence who is a SSGT for the AF, and he makes 60k a year. He was telling me as an officer I'd be making close to 100k a year. Seems a little far fetched considering base pay is around 25k a year right?

2. I prefer the Air Force, but I hear they aren't really recruiting officers, and if they are, it's with technical degrees only right?

3. How long is the application process before you get shipped out? Then how long is training?

4. How many days out of the year, can I expect to be deployed?

2. Gundam

You mean post military career? Or a career in the military. Honestly I have no clue on what I want to do right now.

3. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

no the AF is not really recruiting officers

4. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

I only make 45k as an O-1

5. endemicW

endemicW fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu OT Supporter

factor in the fact that officers get nice housing for free and that initial basepay is a lot more than you think. plus deployments are tax free so you get extra money during those.

6. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

I take home 48K gross 56500 a year as an O-2 (that will all vary depending on where your at becasue of BAH) and in 4 months im gonna get a 600 a month raise, I'm quite happy with 2k twice a month

7. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

8. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

Application process length varies. I went Marine Corps and from the start of the process until getting accepted (not getting shipped) took about 4 months or so. But that can be squashed down if you, say, have a 300 PFT and all your letters of rec lined up. You get that all together, do MEPs then it's just a matter of waiting for the next board to meet. I went the PLC route so I had to wait until summer to actually get shipping off so, in all, it took about 9 months from first recruiter contact till getting on a plane for Quantico.

That was a few years ago so things may be different now especially for AF, Navy, CG, and NG. They may tell you they are filled up for a certain length of time and the whole process could take a year easily. It seems if you go Marines/Army, you'll have a shorter process.

9. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

AS far as training goes, again it depends on what direction you go. Each branch's OCS/OTS usually lasts about 10/12/14 weeks. And then training after that varies. Just google that shit.

10. Gundam

Probably either Marines or Army. I prefer Airforce, but they don't seem to be recruiting for officer positions.

11. danewreed

danewreed OT Supporter

Has there been lay offs with officers in the AF lately?

12. danewreed

danewreed OT Supporter

I'm looking at something IT-related like communications

13. Ninja

Ninja OT Supporter

Army is still accepting Officers but they are starting to cut back. Waivers (if needed) are now much harder to get.

14. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

as an o-1e, married living in pensacola, i make around 5k or so per month take home. (this is including housing and meal pay)
    once i get to the fleet and get extra pay for all sorts of stuff, i should be getting a lot more than that.

15. danewreed

danewreed OT Supporter

I'm trying to be an officer. Are you an officer in the Army? Your training sounds like something I'd like to pursue.

16. Gundam

Although I'm a tad undecided right now, MP sounds like a solid choice since I do have a law enforcement background.

17. danewreed

danewreed OT Supporter

TS, any update?

18. Gundam

I've been holding off on the process because my mom has recently been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. Since she probably doesn't have that much longer I'm trying to spend as much time as possible with her. I'm 25 right now. Would I still have a decent shot at making it through if I wait around 2 more years? Cutoff is 30 right?

19. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

WTF at more people thinking officer pay is mediocre

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  20. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

yea really, I have no problem with my pay check.

21. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

It certainly is for some fields...and correspondingly retention rate has been under 20% after the initial commitment:mamoru::rofl:. That said, its really not as bad even for some of those fields as some people think.

22. geekboy

geekboy Target Agent

well....it is.

23. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

really how far above your means were you living, I have 2 cars, and have more then enough money to do whatever I want when ever I want. Unless are married with a family...then I can understand

24. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

You guys are douchebags, getting out of college as an electrical engineer doesnt mean you are worth ANYTHING, there are probably hundreds of electrical engineers with actual work experience who are unemployed right now and would love to have a job in the field they trained in making as much as an o-1 does when they are 24-25 years old...

GKY my friend................GKY

25. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

When i said trained in i meant went to college for.
    Im sure theres alot of officers that have degrees that could potentially be bringing them in huge paychecks, but just because that opportunity is out there doesnt mean JO pay is a cut. Saying that is based just as much on conjecture as my last post. Imagine being a 20-30 year SNCO in a technical job field... ill just use electronics as an example. Those guys are making equal pay to most JOs who have been working for maybe 4 years out of college and could be making 60k a year at a civilian job as well. If yours is a pay cut, theirs is worse...and i cant recall too many SNCO's in here complaining about it.