Beginner Bike Reccomendations? v. suzuki GS500F

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by zackflavored, Sep 8, 2005.

1. zackflavored

zackflavored KingShit's Post #55!

:wavey: ello again bike crew. as i am still searching for a bike, i went on the suzuki website to fantasize about the 05 beauties and ran across the GS500F and this looks great! 500c not too speedy for a 5'10" 135pounder :noes: like me (not to mention a beginner) and looks great, almost exactly like a gsx-r

HOWEVER

i am definitely not ready to put out for a 04-05 for a starting bike, might anyone know if there are older models of this bike? i looked around (not very hard) but i didnt come across any other older models. could anyone tell/recommend me about a bike similar to this? hopefully suzuki brand, just cause i used a suzuki my first time and want to continue so. thanks again :bowdown:

2. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

You can get the GS500E which is basically the same bike without bodywork. The version with full bodywork is a fairly recent (2 years old I think) update.

I would probably go for a Kawasaki Ninja 500R. Also known as the EX500, these things have a better motor than the Zuki (although the Zuk isn't bad) and have been roughly unchanged since the mid 90's. This means that parts are cheap, repairs are easy and you still have a fun bike to beat around on.
    A few aftermarket goodies really make these things a lot of fun.

Its a shame Kawi won't make a couple minor updates to the EX500. Some new body work and updated wheel/tire/brake package would really go a long way.
    Tune the suspension a little stiffer and you've got a winner for the next ten years.

3. johan

johan Active Member

Kawi is bringing out the Ninja 650 starting this year. The EX500 is still an excellent bike though.

So is an EX250/ZZR250. I have a friend who rides one. She rides faster than me (cornering speed).

4. zackflavored

zackflavored KingShit's Post #55!

ah thanks ill defintetly consider checking it out. and damn you! rolling a bike and GTI at the same time :fawk:

5. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Yep, the car is only slightly more practical than the bike. :mamoru: