WEB Best Blog + CMS software?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Supergeek, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

Let's say I wanted to set up a website that had a blog and a lot of structured data like, say, lists of products broken down by mfr/model/year, or books by genre/author/series, that sort of thing? Also, the data sets will have custom fields like review scores and such.

I'll want the front page of my site to be a mixture of both sets of data; "articles" or blog entries mixed in with lists of the data set entries ranked by popularity or review scores or other custom fields.

Is this something that Drupal or Joomla would be good for? I haven't explored either very deeply. Is there another CMS that would be better suited to this?

2. karp2381

karp2381 New Member

Drupal. Check out Acquia.com

Watch the videos there - you'll be sold.

3. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

best blog software hands down is wordpress

but that will not get what you want without alot of work, so talk to kingtoad, he can tell you what you will need to do in drupal lol

4. alwaysth

alwaysth New Member

I've used wordpress and love it but have been considering moveable-type, there are tons of sites that use that professionally, uncrate being one of them. There's been a lot of talk about using Drupal, but I need to research it more maybe watching that video posted above.

5. kingtoad

kingtoad Well-Known Member

To accomplish something similar to what you want, I would suggest nothing other than Drupal.

6. Swift

Swift http://www.bounceweb.com

WordPress + SEO plugins. You can't go wrong.

7. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

Installed Drupal and reading the docs now. Thanks for the URL, will check out those videos.

8. karp2381

karp2381 New Member

Yeah, no problem. The thing with drupal is that once you learn the ropes, it's easy to get it to do what you want if you want to go further than a blog.

A famous blog that uses drupal is dooce.com

It's so much more and a real CMS. avrillavinge.com is great drupal fap material.

Personally, I'd like to get my hands on a copy of the Blogsmith software, but I don't know if that's all in-house proprietary now or what. Blogsmith seems like a very categorical blog type software, just touching the line of becoming a true CMS.

I'd recommend Drupal still - alas, I don't "know the ropes" yet, :lol:

:bowdown: