TECH best easy to use NAS?

blinger

I just want to plug it in, do some initial configuration, and go!

atleast 2 terabytes, something hot swappable if possible, etc.

are the seagate black armors anygood?

DAN513

Mar 10, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm on my second Drobo, both of which have been great to use and set up, reliable, etc. My next NAS (when I outgrow the 17TB one I have now) will likely be a Synology. Biggest reason is that speed on the Drobo's isn't that great. I seem to max out around 55MB/sec, which I think is pretty low for a Gbit network. I also use newsgroups and the synology's have native support for .nzb files.

f/2.8L

Oct 1, 2004
The Seagate Black Armor is very good, as is the Drobo. I have 1 of each and like them both for different reasons.

dissonance

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
KS
Posted not knowing your usage...

Personally, I don't think those are very useful if you plan on storing any video or other large file types. You're going to fill the drives and have to buy another NAS+drives. Before you know it you're going to have several, each costing a fair amount of money. Why not just spend that cash on a decent/good internal RAID controller and double a desktop as a file server as well.

If you need hot-swap:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121405

My (full) tower can accommodate 17 HDDs and I still have 3 slots for opticals/etc using those bays. Add in a 16 port RAID controller and you have much more flexibilty and future options. (17 drives = 1 OS/prog drive, 1 hot spare, and 3x5 disc RAID-5 groups)

thekraft

Mar 2, 2005
Posted not knowing your usage...

Personally, I don't think those are very useful if you plan on storing any video or other large file types. You're going to fill the drives and have to buy another NAS+drives. Before you know it you're going to have several, each costing a fair amount of money. Why not just spend that cash on a decent/good internal RAID controller and double a desktop as a file server as well.

If you need hot-swap:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121405

My (full) tower can accommodate 17 HDDs and I still have 3 slots for opticals/etc using those bays. Add in a 16 port RAID controller and you have much more flexibilty and future options. (17 drives = 1 OS/prog drive, 1 hot spare, and 3x5 disc RAID-5 groups)

That sounds fucking nuts. I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448