ART Best entry level tripod?

Jspec180

Mar 10, 2003
CA
Such a huge price difference in tripods, I have no idea what to look for, any help?

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
more than I want to spend I think, what is the differences between tripods?

How much the weigh, how tall they get, how much they can hold, what kind of movements they can have.

I'm a fan of Manfrotto- depending on what you're shooting with (well, likely anything smaller than say, an speed graphic) you could make do just fine with a set of 190 series legs and a ballhead (48x series) of your choosing.

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
Tripods are one of those things that will just cause frustration and anger when you skimp on them. Whatever you do, just don't go go Best Buy and get one of these monstrosities.

0009072920505_500X500.jpg

TS
TS
Jspec180

Jspec180

Mar 10, 2003
CA
Good deal, but holy fuck those are some huge and heavy legs. You will want to impale yourself on them if you ever have to carry them around for a long time. They're the predecessor to my 475B, which I use for large format work.

How much could it weigh? I am an ultra beginning photographer, I don't think I am going to be carrying this around on my back all day.

Might keep searching though...

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
Mmmm, probably right around 12-13 pounds with a head. Which is awesome for stability, but you'll be hating life transporting them.

TS
TS
Jspec180

Jspec180

Mar 10, 2003
CA
Yeah. When you start using heavy gear, you pretty much guarantee that no shoot will ever be more than 100 feet from the car. :rofl:

I didn't realize they even made them that heavy... I got a cheapo aluminum one, years ago just to do some skateboarding videos and it was light as hell. Figured they couldn't be more than 5 pounds max...

ASIGN_Baz

Apr 26, 2009
Australia
Crikey! NEVER skimp on a tripod if you are serious or even semi-serious about photography. I have three lightweight pieces of shit in my shed that have all failed me one way or another. Piss-weak parts, blows all over the place in the lightest of breezes and ends up on the ground with a bang like a dunny door in a cyclone.

Now I carry a heavy Manfrotto and Ball-head on my back through the mountains or carry it like a rifle, because it's about the same weight. It get's bashed, sat on, shoved through the scrub and holds my heavy equipment as steady as a rock.

Seriously, those who complain about the weight of a tripod need to man-up a bit. :p

Baz.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor