TECH Best Hard Drive Manufacturer

trouphaz

Sep 22, 2003
i've always been fine with WD or Seagate.

(just fixing typo)

Last edited:

Ebtromba

Nov 22, 2005
alexandria, VA
Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.9) VZW:SCH-i760 PPC 240x320)

seagate ftw

Ebtromba

Nov 22, 2005
alexandria, VA
Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.9) VZW:SCH-i760 PPC 240x320)

Rommel said:
I've just had a seagate die on me. It was barely a month old, aswell.

shits weak

dissonance

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
KS
Seagate or WD or maybe Hitachi.

For enterprise SATA drives Hitachi is top right now (in both performance and quality), I don't know much about their desktop variations though.

I did have one of my Seagate ES.2 1TB drives die within 2 weeks of buying it. Not a big deal since I got a replacement within 3 days for free.

EDIT: (typo correction)

Last edited:
TS
TS

nucklearknight

Sep 21, 2008
San Francisco, California
Seagate or WD or maybe Hitachi.

For enterprise SATA drives Hitachi is top right now (in both performance and quality), I don't know much about their desktop variations though.

I did one have of my Seagate ES.2 1TB drives die within 2 weeks of buying it. Not a big deal since I got a replacement within 3 days for free.
You have more than one 1tb drive?:eek3:

dissonance

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
KS
You have more than one 1tb drive?:eek3:

at 1Tb, you really have to be seriously considering mirroring. that's a ton of stuff that is too easily lost with a single drive failure.

I run a RAID-5 with 5 1TB drives. I then have a 320GB drive split in to partitions for my OS/prog. 1 partition XP stuff, the other Vista. I will eventually delete the XP partition and purely use a virtual machine in Vista for my XP stuff. (The 320GB drive is from my RAID before getting the 1TB drives).

Bencorn

Sep 9, 2007
Ames, IA
Do you have to have 64bit to bypass the 2tb raid 5 limit or just a higher end card? I have two 2TB raid 5's because I couldn't go over the the 2tb limit.

dissonance

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
KS
Do you have to have 64bit to bypass the 2tb raid 5 limit or just a higher end card? I have two 2TB raid 5's because I couldn't go over the the 2tb limit.
I didn't even bother trying to do a >2TB volume. I just have it set as 2 logical ~1.8TB volumes. So as far as Windows is concerned it is just 2 2TB drives.

One volume is purely movies and the other is all of my other storage.

trouphaz

Sep 22, 2003
I didn't even bother trying to do a >2TB volume. I just have it set as 2 logical ~1.8TB volumes. So as far as Windows is concerned it is just 2 2TB drives.

One volume is purely movies and the other is all of my other storage.

are you the one who works for the storage company?

dissonance

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
KS
are you the one who works for the storage company?
Yea. I'm a price analyst so I don't really deal with products in technical aspects in extreme depth. I do work a lot with product management and development people, so I have to know pretty much everything an average consumer would about our products and our competitors. And then things an average consumer may not so I can explain why we can charge a premium or vice versa.

The plant I work at is the external data storage facility. I don't deal with internal storage, chip development, etc but I do hear things about them from time to time.

trouphaz

Sep 22, 2003
Yea. I'm a price analyst so I don't really deal with products in technical aspects in extreme depth. I do work a lot with product management and development people, so I have to know pretty much everything an average consumer would about our products and our competitors. And then things an average consumer may not so I can explain why we can charge a premium or vice versa.

The plant I work at is the external data storage facility. I don't deal with internal storage, chip development, etc but I do hear things about them from time to time.

one other question. do you have a full sized version of your AV? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan