TECH Best Router on the market under $200?

lawnboy

Can I get uhhhh
May 5, 2000
Pittsburgh, PA
We cut the cord and stream all TV through sling and my wife and i WFH full time now. My verizon fios router is finally in over its head. Looking for something that will allow me to stream on multiple TV's/devices, long range to be able to reach to my basement. I don't game, but i'd like to future-proof it for when we move into a larger house and have even more connected devices.

Can you nerds help a brotha out? :x:

onedownfiveup

OT Supporter
Jun 26, 2005
My Ubiquiti EdgeRouter and their AP's have been rock solid for years in my house. I recommend their stuff to everyone even though they are pricey.

onedownfiveup

OT Supporter
Jun 26, 2005
Or just buy some consumer piece of shit and reboot it twice a month.
Most likely more than that even.

I finally talked my friend into spending the money on the Ubiquti AP for his access point and we did a speed test from the xfiniity wifi vs the unifi ap. Unifi Ap was double the speed from the same router.

RotorBalls

Sep 8, 2000
RBWH
Or just buy some consumer piece of shit and reboot it twice a month.
I might reset my old consumer router twice a year...I want to buy new network toys but I can't justify it when my shit just works :hs:

Last edited:

Tommy

Long Member Standing
Apr 12, 2001
NYC
TP-Link Deco M9 three puck mesh system. They had refurb's for $145 over the holidays so I picked up a set. It's much better coverage than my old Asus router.

Chuck Finley

Florida Man | Infamous ROFL Spammer
Super Moderator
May 1, 2002
St Pete, FL
This one?

No

That one. It's like $180 on amazon for some reason.

JaimeZX

Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew
Nov 7, 2005
Back in VA

Then grab a small SSD and USB enclosure and you can setup Skynet firewall, Diversion ad-blocking, and other scripts as you see fit. :bigthumb:

• Haha
Reactions: Chuck Finley

scotty

OT Supporter
May 6, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
+1 for Dream Machine if you like a bunch of options and granular control of your network. Otherwise Amplifi. Happy with my non pro Dream Machine.

Tommy

Long Member Standing
Apr 12, 2001
NYC
any mesh system with tri band if you want to put zero thought into it and just make it work well.

:werd:

Triband is better than dual band if you want to simply hook them up and run them in the house. The third band in a triband is reserved for the mesh devices to communicate with each other and not interrupt traffic like it would in a dual band system.

If you have ethernet connections to every mesh point to run as a backbone, then dual band is the way to go, price wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026