TECH Best way to display a resume online

scotty

why don't you take a seat right over there?
OT Supporter
May 6, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'm trying to figure out a clean way to display my resume. I've been looking for examples and a lot of the sites I come across are these huge resumes that are really poorly formatted and hard on the eyes. I could do Wordpress but even that is overkill for what I am looking for. Simple, 1 page resume showing 3 internships, 3 jobs, education, and skills section. No portfollio since I'm looking for a production assistant job in the tv / film industry.

I threw what I have into Photoshop and spliced it up into images, but it's just really plain. Basically a table with black text on a white background with a link to download the PDF version. I don't know a whole lot of html or css, so I'm not sure what would be the best way to do this.

Fifafever

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
San Diego
I made my resume look exactly like it does on paper except with any company names linking to their sites.

However, my recommendation for you is to go with a video resume!

TS
TS
scotty

scotty

OT Supporter
May 6, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I actually found a decent template and stripped it down a lot then included a PDF download link.

JesterFX

Oct 10, 2004
As an image? Personally I wouldn't want my whole resume, searchable, and online for anyone to find/see. Not sure what you plan to do with it (send people hiring there or just hoping for random people to find it then contact you) but just a nice clean "screenshot" of your actual resume could work. Then also provide a downloadable PDF for their records.

TS
TS
scotty

scotty

OT Supporter
May 6, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
link to the template?
Layout 2 of this:
http://themeforest.net/item/professional-clean-html-cv-resume/137955

As an image? Personally I wouldn't want my whole resume, searchable, and online for anyone to find/see. Not sure what you plan to do with it (send people hiring there or just hoping for random people to find it then contact you) but just a nice clean "screenshot" of your actual resume could work. Then also provide a downloadable PDF for their records.
I agree. I don't want my info being indexed or searchable. I initially took the PDF of my resume and spliced into images then added a PDF link to download it, but it was just really boring looking. I'm not really passing my website around, but email address is [email protected]_domain.com so if anyone ever goes to the url in my email I don't want it to be some shitty site. I'm not looking for people to randomly find me.

I put a robots.txt with
User-agent: *
Disallow: /

I know some spiders can easily ignore this. Only info I list are my email (which I tried to protect from harvesting with javascript, but probably won't help), and my Google Voice number.

Mikey

This one, this form I hold now, so Wide eyed and h
Oct 18, 2001
Baltimore
I actually plan to set up a similar site soon as well. Didn't even think aobut the indexing of my info...hmm... maybe just a basic landing page with a link to a pdf of my resume.

whomadewho

Ohhh FCN Ohhhhh FCN!
Jan 10, 2002
San Francisco
why not set up something very simple looking similar to an about.me page and then include a link to linkedin and a link to your resume as pdf? Resumes loose you more job opportunities than they gain you, so having them displayed everywhere is counterproductive

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan