ENT GAME Bioshock bois: why is Abby the best character in gaming?

Weapon X

Sep 5, 2001
I think it could have been a great game but it was just a solid one imo

The gameplay rocked and there's never been anything in gaming quite like taking on hordes

Weird thing is Sony refused to make a sequel, but has a movie planned.

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
i didn't have any major problems with days gone outside of story presentation. too many parts where people ride on your bike and spout off story, following around npcs (the stealth sections with the government agency blew chunks) in general for any story content, tons of cutscenes, etc. for what was in the end a fairly standard zombie story that doesn't match other media like the last of us or the walking dead (comics, NOT the show). i'd say it was a solid 8.5 / 10 game because the gameplay loop was quite great and that carries so many problems for me. it's why other games i had similar issues with like the witcher 3 didn't appeal to me as much, gameplay loop really is king. it's also why i'd give the challenge mode section of days gone damn near a 10 / 10, especially the horde ones. it's why i liked assassin's creed: odyssey so much, the stealth was so fuckin fun and the combat had serious challenge and depth with a skill cap. bosses could get really brutal in that game like the minotaur.

horizon games are a bit more of a mixed bag to me on that front. i definitely like the combat a ton, lots of stuff there to praise. i'm not super huge on the platforming. i have some issues with the controls, i feel like they are needlessly obtuse in certain ways and this compounds with some UI issues like the scrolling consumable wheel. things like swimming and sprinting on foot all have different speed up controls than being on a mount, and the mount uses that tapping speed increase shit from red dead redemption. let me just hold a button down or just press the left stick in like when i'm on foot.

Reactions: obscure/renegade

Boudreaux

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2002
DFW, Texas
The cut scenes are bothersome, especially right after the seamlessness of the GoW ones.
I'll have a quick couple second black screen for a 5 second cut scene, then another black screen for a second for another brief scene, rinse repeat 4 times

annoying.

TS
TS
Sphygmo

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
The Trail NERO missions just felt tacked on, they were so mindlessly easy it was like, why bother?
I hate tailing missions in general

Bailed on asscreed black flag in the middle of one of them bc it annoyed me so much

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
i was so tired of the naval combat by the end of black flag, it was fun at first but boy did it become a chore. i did like the legendary ship battles though. it was the whole boarding process that became so tedious for me.

Reactions: EE CUMMINGS

Boudreaux

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2002
DFW, Texas
Finished Days Gone last night.

Gonna get all the camp and character story lines to 100% and then see how much I care to do the Horde Killer one.

then figure out what to play next.

digital jello

i'll be jeans soon
OT Supporter
Mar 14, 2006
played through Deliver Us the Moon this week. kind of clumsy controls, but i really enjoyed it. kept me engaged throughout

Reactions: Weapon X

digital jello

i'll be jeans soon
OT Supporter
Mar 14, 2006
Finished Days Gone last night.

Gonna get all the camp and character story lines to 100% and then see how much I care to do the Horde Killer one.

then figure out what to play next.
that game got fucking annoying pretty quickly for me. i think i had just saved some girl from a town and killed a bear before i just deleted it.

• Haha
Reactions: crotch

obscure/renegade

Don't mind me.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2004
Georgia
i didn't have any major problems with days gone outside of story presentation. too many parts where people ride on your bike and spout off story, following around npcs (the stealth sections with the government agency blew chunks) in general for any story content, tons of cutscenes, etc. for what was in the end a fairly standard zombie story that doesn't match other media like the last of us or the walking dead (comics, NOT the show). i'd say it was a solid 8.5 / 10 game because the gameplay loop was quite great and that carries so many problems for me. it's why other games i had similar issues with like the witcher 3 didn't appeal to me as much, gameplay loop really is king. it's also why i'd give the challenge mode section of days gone damn near a 10 / 10, especially the horde ones. it's why i liked assassin's creed: odyssey so much, the stealth was so fuckin fun and the combat had serious challenge and depth with a skill cap. bosses could get really brutal in that game like the minotaur.

horizon games are a bit more of a mixed bag to me on that front. i definitely like the combat a ton, lots of stuff there to praise. i'm not super huge on the platforming. i have some issues with the controls, i feel like they are needlessly obtuse in certain ways and this compounds with some UI issues like the scrolling consumable wheel. things like swimming and sprinting on foot all have different speed up controls than being on a mount, and the mount uses that tapping speed increase shit from red dead redemption. let me just hold a button down or just press the left stick in like when i'm on foot.
Agreed on a lot of this, but I didn't mind the NERO missions. And yes the exposition on the motorcycles was used a lot, but it wasn't a huge deal. And you could skip shit, which is nice. And of course lots of other deails I have mentioned before, like easily switching your firing position based upon given cover.

Horizon IMO is inferior to Days Gone in most ways. When game controls are that clumsy, and the UI looks like an old-school WoW raid, that's a dealbreaker for me. The inventory management was visually repugnant. The overall art was great, and the machines were incredible, genuinely, but it failed to keep my attention past the first trial lodge.

• Love
Reactions: Simius The Monkey

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026