ENT GAME Bioshock bois: why is Abby the best character in gaming?

Highlander_77

Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!!!
Dec 7, 2000
New England
Got a source for that? Digital Foundry mentions none of allthatshitbyyou.word

How you like the gameplay?

It's right there in the PS5 display settings. You can set HDR to "on when supported" or "always on". It makes the TV always go into HDR mode and applies some sort of HDR "effect" regardless of whether the game has HDR support or not. In my experience it improves the color depth and makes the visuals "pop" a little more, though it could probably vary depending on the TV. DF probably had that feature turned off though.

Anyway the gameplay is great. I haven't really gotten any further yet than I did when I first played it, but I liked it then too. Excited to finally get deeper into the game. :cool:

Boudreaux

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2002
DFW, Texas
It's right there in the PS5 display settings. You can set HDR to "on when supported" or "always on". It makes the TV always go into HDR mode and applies some sort of HDR "effect" regardless of whether the game has HDR support or not. In my experience it improves the color depth and makes the visuals "pop" a little more, though it could probably vary depending on the TV. DF probably had that feature turned off though.

Anyway the gameplay is great. I haven't really gotten any further yet than I did when I first played it, but I liked it then too. Excited to finally get deeper into the game. :cool:
Xbox has that too though.

Highlander_77

Dec 7, 2000
New England
It does for back compat games. :dunno:

When you say back compat are you talking about like Xbox One games, or Xbox 360 and older?
If it's older ones I'm assuming those are games where there's other tweaking going on, like increasing the resolution or framerate from what the game originally had. I doubt that it works with ALL of them though.

Boudreaux

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2002
DFW, Texas
Ah I see w
When you say back compat are you talking about like Xbox One games, or Xbox 360 and older?
If it's older ones I'm assuming those are games where there's other tweaking going on, like increasing the resolution or framerate from what the game originally had. I doubt that it works with ALL of them though.

Yeah. And reading into it there are some current sdr games that are compat with hdr on xbox, but I didn't realize ps5 was force 'faking' hdr on all games. Learn something new errday

Keksim

OT Supporter
Jan 16, 2012
Xbox has auto-HDR which is a completely different thing than PS forcing games into an HDR 'container.' Auto-HDR uses machine learning to actually create the effect of native HDR but it doesn't work for all games

I'm pretty sure Xbox's regular HDR mode works like Playstation's 'HDR on when supported' mode

Boudreaux

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2002
DFW, Texas
TLUO Question
this cunt that murdered Joel - I'm not supposed to know how she knows him yet right? I assume that'll be a 'revelation' at some point during the story?

Highlander_77

Dec 7, 2000
New England
Xbox has auto-HDR which is a completely different thing than PS forcing games into an HDR 'container.' Auto-HDR uses machine learning to actually create the effect of native HDR but it doesn't work for all games

I'm pretty sure Xbox's regular HDR mode works like Playstation's 'HDR on when supported' mode

Yeah, this. And ordinarily I'd be pretty skeptical of anything that tries to "fake" an HDR effect on SDR content. But idk...whatever the PS5 is doing sure looks like a definitive improvement over the SDR modes on everything I've seen it on.

Edit: some of this could also depend on your particular display as well.

Reactions: Boudreaux

Keksim

OT Supporter
Jan 16, 2012
Yeah, this. And ordinarily I'd be pretty skeptical of anything that tries to "fake" an HDR effect on SDR content. But idk...whatever the PS5 is doing sure looks like a definitive improvement over the SDR modes on everything I've seen it on.

Edit: some of this could also depend on your particular display as well.

I just switched my ps5 from 'HDR on when supported' to 'always on' while looking at Solar Ash and I think I saw a little bit of a difference. Might be slightly darker and more saturated

It could be forcing a different color space - my Samsung QN90A has the option to use its own native color space and that makes everything look way different because it essentially shows more/different colors than what comes from whatever you're watching

Highlander_77

Dec 7, 2000
New England
I'm surprised its not HDR on xbox, I coulda swore it was but then I read that there was a lot of confusion about HRD being included on the console port vs PC when it came out a year ago.

Yeah, I noticed that same confusion last night when attempting to determine whether or not it was supposed to be in HDR. It surprises me that any modern games don't support HDR, but then again I don't know what sort of challenges properly implementing HDR actually presents (given that some pretty huge developers manage to fuck it up), and it might be more than smaller developers are able to really deal with. It's also easy to forget that The Ascent was made by a small indie studio because it looks SO good. I'm consistently blown away by how detailed and "dense" the game world is.

Reactions: Boudreaux

Highlander_77

Dec 7, 2000
New England
I just switched my ps5 from 'HDR on when supported' to 'always on' while looking at Solar Ash and I think I saw a little bit of a difference. Might be slightly darker and more saturated

It could be forcing a different color space - my Samsung QN90A has the option to use its own native color space and that makes everything look way different because it essentially shows more/different colors than what comes from whatever you're watching

It definitely does something. Because I first noticed it when comparing Death's Door on XSX and PS5, and I kept feeling like something just seemed to "pop" a little more in the PS5 visuals when switching back and forth, and then I noticed that my TV's "HDR" logo was popping up when I'd switch to the PS5 input but not when I switched over to the Xbox.

It is subtle, not like a drastic change. Which is probably good. But it's there.

Users who are viewing this thread

• About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
    OT v15.11.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
    Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
    Guests online
    Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mohamedali2022