Bioshock boys: It is time to see if Dead Space is hypeworthy

TS
TS
Sphygmo

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
The scores are all over the place though. Like, to the extent that I'm not even sure the reviews are helpful, lol. MOST of the scores are 7 or higher (and like...a 7/10 is NOT a bad score. I bet we've all had games that we loved that were around there). I think this is a prime example of why metascores aren't always the most useful metric. A lot with this one is going to come down to personal taste.
It wasn't on my radar so I'm just an observer on this one lol

GRattu

OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2007
Ok, I'm probably a couple hours into Forspoken now (my copy arrived a day early from Best Buy...yeah, I pre-ordered. I wanted the Steelbook case. Deal with it. :o ). And honestly...while it's a little rough around the edges, I'm finding the early going promising. Obviously I need to get further before I can give a more fleshed out opinion, but I am not seeing anything to justify the massive hate boner for this game. And worst it just seems like an average, inoffensive open-world game. But it looks good (minus a few wrinkles here and there...wish they would have done something different with the way long hair is rendered because it looks pretty rough at times in performance mode), so far gameplay seems fun, and I'm actually kind of enjoying the characters and dialogue. If the constant banter between Frey and Cuff is the same as it was in the demo, I'll be turning that down, but I've actually found the scripted dialogue pretty amusing.

We'll see how it pans out, but considering that the consensus among most of the reviews seems to be that the game gets better as it progresses, I'm feeling pretty optimistic about this one.
Interested in if this gets better, feels like I'm white knighting this stupid game in a couple of discord servers I'm in :ugh2:

• Support
Reactions: obscure/renegade

GRattu

OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2007
My first impressions are honestly pretty positive. Hopefully I'll have a chance to get more into the meat of it tonight, basically just kind of got through all the introductory stuff and out into the actual world.

I think your expectations going in are going to have a lot to do with. We just came off God of War Ragnarok, which is on a whole other level. Is Forspoken going to compare to that, or HFW? No, of course not. I don't think that's a fair comparison, I'm sure it didn't spend 5 years in development or have the kind of budget that first party Sony games have to work with. But that doesn't mean it's not worthwhile on its own.

I'll probably try to get some good screenshots and clips to upload later.
I've watched a couple of positive reviews on YouTube, what they're saying makes the 4/10s seem even more petty and ridiculous.

It seems like this is a 7/10 game, not great but not terrible either. Technically it's solid, story is pretty meh but gets better in the back half.

the_antsy_honda

This is the story of a little ship...
Dec 17, 2001
California
Interested in if this gets better, feels like I'm white knighting this stupid game in a couple of discord servers I'm in :ugh2:
one of the bigger pitfalls of console ports is they typically don't get really good optimization for PC, even long after they come out and either get abandoned with updates or just never get fixed.

Every so often you get a Resident Evil 2 Remake but most of the time that's not the case

GRattu

OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2007
one of the bigger pitfalls of console ports is they typically don't get really good optimization for PC, even long after they come out and either get abandoned with updates or just never get fixed.

Every so often you get a Resident Evil 2 Remake but most of the time that's not the case
I think this one is PS5 forward, all of the reviews seem to be for the PS5 version

Also that demo was only for PS5

the_antsy_honda

This is the story of a little ship...
Dec 17, 2001
California
Here's my own personal criteria. I played a few hours of the game last night. Now I'm at work. And I'm looking forward to getting home so I can play some more. That's pretty much the thing that tells me how much I'm actually

That sounds pretty similar to my system. I'll probably download the PC demo myself just to see how it performs on my aging GTX 1080ti.
32gb ddr5 6000
3080 10gb

1440p, ray tracing stuff on, dlss quality, everything else on max

in this early non-combat scene its around 60-90fps

1674587653355.png

obscure/renegade

Don't mind me.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2004
Georgia
  • Wow
Reactions: GRattu and Keksim

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
yes for about 15 hours and quit rekt

i'm like 50 hours deep, you should play more. what made you quit? i've found that being really completionist isn't worth it. building roads and ziplines and bridges is worth it. once you get fast travel things speed up a bit. maxing out your reputation with each place (just do a handful of transportation missions for them) gets you plenty of resources to build roads and you can supplement a TON by doing weekly missions because they award so many resource piles it's kind of ridiculous. if you don't have the director's cut version it's more than worth it to upgrade.

Reactions: crotch

Highlander_77

Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!!!
Dec 7, 2000
New England
i'm like 50 hours deep, you should play more. what made you quit? i've found that being really completionist isn't worth it. building roads and ziplines and bridges is worth it. once you get fast travel things speed up a bit. maxing out your reputation with each place (just do a handful of transportation missions for them) gets you plenty of resources to build roads and you can supplement a TON by doing weekly missions because they award so many resource piles it's kind of ridiculous. if you don't have the director's cut version it's more than worth it to upgrade.

Bro I spent SO MANY hours in Death Stranding driving around gathering resources to build highways everywhere. I was getting so much satisfaction from that. :rofl: I think it was once I got to a point where I had to stop doing that and actually go back to the main quest that I kinda lost interest and stopped playing. :o

Reactions: SlowNegative

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
Bro I spent SO MANY hours in Death Stranding driving around gathering resources to build highways everywhere. I was getting so much satisfaction from that. :rofl: I think it was once I got to a point where I had to stop doing that and actually go back to the main quest that I kinda lost interest and stopped playing. :o

i got upset because i did a timed weekly mission and i was like hey i'll build ziplines to speed this up, nope after i set my network up the mission says you can't use vehicles or ziplines. at least the network is there now so i can use it when i want to max out stuff in the starting area.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6