ENT GAME Bioshock boys: let us cum together over God of War Ragnarok

Highlander_77

Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!!!
Dec 7, 2000
New England
going to play this game

only 10 bucks and it has a lot of good word of mouth on the metroidvania subreddit and i'm intrigued at why the positive reviews have 50+ hours in the game

I grabbed this one awhile back. Definitely has its charm, but I didn't get too far after initially checking it out due to an overwhelming glut of a backlog that I'm dealing with. :o

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
I grabbed this one awhile back. Definitely has its charm, but I didn't get too far after initially checking it out due to an overwhelming glut of a backlog that I'm dealing with. :o

i'm digging it so far. didn't have much time to play, made it fairly deep into the first dungeon. solid puzzles, the combat is pretty fun too. love the art and music. it's not a metroidvania though. it's way more like zelda 2.

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
It always irks me when a conserve resources game has an interactive scene moment where ammo conservation is completely ignored

yeah naughty dog is pretty bad at melding story telling with the rules / characters of the gameplay, i feel like they are one of the worst at ludonarrative dissonance

Reactions: riznat

Highlander_77

Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!!!
Dec 7, 2000
New England
i'm digging it so far. didn't have much time to play, made it fairly deep into the first dungeon. solid puzzles, the combat is pretty fun too. love the art and music. it's not a metroidvania though. it's way more like zelda 2.

Yeah, seemed more like a side-scrolling action/RPG. Maybe there are more metroidvania elements as the game progresses. I feel like the term "metroidvania" has also been stretched pretty broadly at this point though.

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
i saw this list, fairly solid list but i have some issues with placement

they put the top 10 2d soulslikes in this order:

10: Titan Souls
9: Dark Devotion
8: Blasphemous
7: GRIME
6: Vigil: the Longest Night
5: Ender Lilies
4: Death's Gambit
3: Dead Cells
2: Salt & Sanctuary
1: Hollow Knight

now, i haven't played 10 and 9 so no comment on those two. however the order is really bad for the rest. first, Salt & Sanctuary suffers from terrible art design and a lack of a map, which is honestly a complete dealbreaker for a 2D game. for these reasons it is easily my pick for worst of the 8 that i've played. there's no way in hell someone is going to tell me Vigil is as good as GRIME or Blasphemous. it's honestly a bit sloppy, solid game but it has some serious problems. Ender Lilies too, great game but it not on par with Blasphemous. my personal list of the 8 of those i've played would be -

8: Salt & Sanctuary
7: Vigil
6: Ender Lilies
5: Death's Gambit
4: GRIME
3: Blasphemous
2: Hollow Knight
1: Dead Cells

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
phoenotopia has one of the most ridiculous takes on the jrpg trope where you start off in a village, go to a dungeon, and when you come back the village is in some kind of disaster. all the villagers got abducted by a flying saucer lol

really digging this game. there have been some things i couldn't figure out how to get past so that must be the metroidvania elements. it's a pretty challenging game so far, but i have a crossbow and armor now so i might be doing better once i play again. been a while since i've played a jrpg, the town design is pretty fantastic in this game. really charming, well written dialogue. plenty of secrets and exploration. even had a time trial minigame which was fun.

if this game keeps it up this is going to go down as one of my favorites of the past few years.

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
by 12 hours you should have a pretty good handle on what the game expects of you. one early game area is not that indicative of the rest of the game though, the big open area in Seattle early. there's nothing really like that again IIRC, more linear the rest of the game. it's a long game though, you still have a lot ahead of you.

which part are you at?

Boudreaux

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2002
DFW, Texas
by 12 hours you should have a pretty good handle on what the game expects of you. one early game area is not that indicative of the rest of the game though, the big open area in Seattle early. there's nothing really like that again IIRC, more linear the rest of the game. it's a long game though, you still have a lot ahead of you.

which part are you at?
End of Seattle Day 3ish, early day 4ish (cant remember atm), Ellie just tortured Nora for info - about 30 mins past that cutscene?

riznat

OT Supporter
Mar 29, 2011
12 hrs into TLUO II and struggling to continue. Story is just meh so far.
I liked it enough while I was playing it but i also didnt finish, probably wont go back to it either because i wouldn't want to start over to get a handle on the controls again. So far it seems like most of the Naughty Dog games ive played are fun enough to suggest but no where near as good as I i had hoped, not sure what the deal is.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman