ENT GAME Bioshock boys: let us cum together over God of War Ragnarok

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
i mean it’s who he is as a character though goofball

and? he's not a good character. at least in the OG GoW games you could be like "oh that Kratos, what a zany character, what ridiculously gratuitous violence will he do next," in the newer ones they're just like "people like Joel from The Last of Us, let's just copy that but make him one note."

at least his voice acting isn't as bad as Aloy. by god did they give Ashly just super powerful medications or something when she did her voice acting in that game?

Reactions: Keksim

crotch

😑
Oct 12, 2001
Nashville, TN
and? he's not a good character. at least in the OG GoW games you could be like "oh that Kratos, what a zany character, what ridiculously gratuitous violence will he do next," in the newer ones they're just like "people like Joel from The Last of Us, let's just copy that but make him one note."

at least his voice acting isn't as bad as Aloy. by god did they give Ashly just super powerful medications or something when she did her voice acting in that game?
not saying he’s the best actor but for kratos voice he does a damn good job

preston

Jun 8, 2006
Miami / Atlanta
One of the greatest successes of Ragnarok, which would have not been possible without the delicate steps taken in 2018 - is humanizing Kratos.

Also, Judge has plenty of well delivered lines in this game - important ones to deliver well, too.

Kratos was peak male power fantasy for teenage boys back during the original, and matured almost not at all across that trilogy.

This story was packaged for those same kids, now grown and potentially with kids of their own - and it handled an impossible transition and added maturity about as well as it could have.

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
One of the greatest successes of Ragnarok, which would have not been possible without the delicate steps taken in 2018 - is humanizing Kratos.

Also, Judge has plenty of well delivered lines in this game - important ones to deliver well, too.

Kratos was peak male power fantasy for teenage boys back during the original, and matured almost not at all across that trilogy.

This story was packaged for those same kids, now grown and potentially with kids of their own - and it handled an impossible transition and added maturity about as well as it could have.

yeah... but... did Kratos need to be humanized? i would say that the entire goal is flawed from the outset. there's no reason for that. it's not like the OG GoW games were known for story. no one played them for that. i'm opposed to the entire concept, tbh.

• Clown
Reactions: GRattu and Keksim

preston

Jun 8, 2006
Miami / Atlanta
yeah... but... did Kratos need to be humanized? i would say that the entire goal is flawed from the outset. there's no reason for that. it's not like the OG GoW games were known for story. no one played them for that. i'm opposed to the entire concept, tbh.

By the third game I was at least very interested in seeing how it all ended, and loved hunting down the bigger Greek pantheon gods - but no I wouldn’t say the games were known for their story. Im just not sure how you package a continuation of that IP in the AAA space in this era and not have story be a big component. Dunno I probably would have been fine with Kratos continuing on being a one note ruthless asshole, but not sure how the wider reception would have been.

Reactions: crotch

Mammoth

I should be working.
OT Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Michigan
just spent 90 min on those double dreki after you help freya finish her side quest

had already used my resurrection stone in this area, my rage meter was on zero, and was trapped back there as there was no gateway or any way out except through them

holy FUCK that was tough. was not prepared for that. thought about reloading an earlier save and coming back more prepared but made myself power through. every time you would focus on one the other would fire an electric or ice ball at your ass or just slam you from behind. had to be just absolutely nimble and almost no room for error
I didn't have much trouble with her side quest. But I'll tell you what, I was swearing at the TV trying to beat Fraekni the Zealous. Probably had to try at least a dozen times before I finally won. That's a huge bitch.

Loving this game. Love the voice acting. Kratos just keeps getting badder and badder with each game.

What armor is everyone rocking? I'm still rocking the Nidavellir Armor. The vitality boost is the best I've found. Online, I keep reading Lunda’s Lost Armor Set is one of the best. But even though I have the full set, the stats seem much weaker than the Nidavellir Armor I keep wearing.

Reactions: crotch and Sphygmo

TheEvil1

Hell is other people
OT Supporter
Jul 4, 2003
WNY
the power of Lundas is the poison you get from hitting thigs with your fists, its kinda OP

the full set gives you +40% more damage and the if the are poisoned it basically drops their level, if they are a yellow bar to you and get poisoned they go to a green bar. it works on bosses as well

i ran Nidavellir chest + 2 raven tear pieces for a while

when/if they add a NG+ ill prob do a playthrough with lundas

Last edited:
TS
TS
Sphygmo

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
I barely played the og GoW and what I did left zero impact on me so I'm fine with the arc they've sent his character on in these two games

Obviously the world is more fleshed out in this game and it's not just about him tho

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
Not sure why @silkforcalde is constantly complaining about this game tbh, we get it you don't like aaa gaming bruh. Nobody is asking you to play these games

it's the discussion at hand, what else is there to talk about? i talk about other games and no responses. that's awful fun. so i'll talk about my gripes with AAA gaming and the horrible way they tell stories in games these days with incessant babbling side characters and passively told stories that disrupt and annihilate the flow of the game.

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
vampire survivors is more fun than most AAA games from the past few console generations and you literally just move a character around while picking upgrades with no story at all. indie games are just where it's at. a game like Hades tells a story that's deeper and richer than AAA movie game stories and it did it in a way that it comfortably and perfectly fits the game itself like a glove in a way that only a video game could tell a story.

Highlander_77

Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!!!
Dec 7, 2000
New England

BuT hOw CoMe I dOn'T gEt To FuCk HoT bItChEs In A mInI-GaMe NoW?!?! :jerkit:

• Haha
TS
TS
Sphygmo

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
vampire survivors is more fun than most AAA games from the past few console generations and you literally just move a character around while picking upgrades with no story at all. indie games are just where it's at. a game like Hades tells a story that's deeper and richer than AAA movie game stories and it did it in a way that it comfortably and perfectly fits the game itself like a glove in a way that only a video game could tell a story.
Meh I don't wanna play them

I have very limited time for gaming. I'll play what I like

Reactions: Mammoth

preston

Jun 8, 2006
Miami / Atlanta
I didn't have much trouble with her side quest. But I'll tell you what, I was swearing at the TV trying to beat Fraekni the Zealous. Probably had to try at least a dozen times before I finally won. That's a huge bitch.

Loving this game. Love the voice acting. Kratos just keeps getting badder and badder with each game.

What armor is everyone rocking? I'm still rocking the Nidavellir Armor. The vitality boost is the best I've found. Online, I keep reading Lunda’s Lost Armor Set is one of the best. But even though I have the full set, the stats seem much weaker than the Nidavellir Armor I keep wearing.

Tyrs armor is still the GOAT aesthetic

Highlander_77

Dec 7, 2000
New England
By the third game I was at least very interested in seeing how it all ended, and loved hunting down the bigger Greek pantheon gods - but no I wouldn’t say the games were known for their story. Im just not sure how you package a continuation of that IP in the AAA space in this era and not have story be a big component. Dunno I probably would have been fine with Kratos continuing on being a one note ruthless asshole, but not sure how the wider reception would have been.

I was interested in seeing how it ended too, but honestly...if the franchise had continued with that direction, I don't think I would have been very interested in it going forward. Honestly Kratos was an unlikeable asshole in those games. The way they've developed and grown the character (while still remaining true to his roots) in the news games is just masterful writing and direction.

And yeah, I don't know much about Christopher Judge's acting career outside of these games. Maybe he's not been great in other roles. But he found his calling here.

Reactions: GRattu and preston

Highlander_77

Dec 7, 2000
New England

I love that the indie game scene is what it is (I don't know if I think the story in Hades is quite as deep as you find it to be, but it's definitely well written). There's room for both. That's the beauty of videogames. They can be a very tight, focused, stripped down experience. A gameplay concept distilled down to its purest form. Or they can be huge, elaborate productions that combine gameplay with lush visuals and storytelling that rivals (or even surpasses) anything Hollywood has to offer. And everything in between. Games have something for everyone. There's no need to trash the styles or genres that we don't particularly care for (although there are certainly industry trends, just as filling games with aggressive monetization, that need to be trashed).

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman