ART Biting the bullet - your least favorite essential purchases

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
I love buying gear. I have LBA as bad as anyone. However, there's always those small things that add up, and I can't stand buying. Just a few weeks ago, I bought some more memory cards since I just switched to CF, a card case, and som desiccant. Not exactly a package that I was refreshing the tracking page on.

So I'm curious. Is it just me? Are there others out there that hate the tedious purchases, too. Anything in particular that you despise?

Aero277

Aug 13, 2003
Los Angeles
I'm the same way with memory cards, hard drives, batteries, pretty much anything I haaave to get but won't really get too excited about.

I cheat on dessicant. I use the dessicant packets that come with reagents that we use in the laboratory. They're not silica, but I haven't had a problem with it. If it's good enough to keep moisture away from sensitive chemical reagent and medical devices, should be good enough for my gearbag, lol.

TS
TS
jigelow

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
Aero, nice! I'm going to go for the reusable Pelican stuff next time. Just heat it to dry it out I guess.

Matrix, that's funny! I somehow lose back caps more. I guess that's a bit better since they're interchangeable.

grphx

Jul 2, 2010
Oklahoma
The little cord that goes from my pocket wizard to my canon 430ex flash.

I lost one of them so I only have one flash now, and it's like a 3 week wait to get another via internet

turbodude

Just a photographer
OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2002
Las Vegas
CF cards, lens papers, lens pens, lens caps, speedlight diffusers, hotshoe adaptors, body caps, Hard drives, Drobo,

pantheR

Nov 1, 2006
Washington, DC
cr123a batteries/charger for my radiopoppers, i considered returning them solely for this issue

anything else that is small that is hard to find locally.. like a 3.5mm male end to pc sync cord

or lightstands

Aero, nice! I'm going to go for the reusable Pelican stuff next time. Just heat it to dry it out I guess.

Matrix, that's funny! I somehow lose back caps more. I guess that's a bit better since they're interchangeable.

anybody know where they sell the reusable pelican kind at a local store?

Wobistdu

buying 2 arca swiss plates for $50/piece was a nice fucking punch in the balls

a b&w polarizer for $175 seems pretty fucking high

i mad

Wobistdu

i also despise warranty coverage on shit where you get denied if you weren't the original purchaser

that's pretty shitty

Aero277

Aug 13, 2003
Los Angeles
buying 2 arca swiss plates for $50/piece was a nice fucking punch in the balls

a b&w polarizer for $175 seems pretty fucking high

i mad

Oh yeah...filters piss me off. They're retardedly priced and unless you have the proper step-up rings you have to get different sizes and if you use step-up rings then you can't use lens hoods. :o

s14brent

Apr 29, 2009
las vegas
cr123a batteries/charger for my radiopoppers, i considered returning them solely for this issue

get the rechargables, totally worth it, I have 6 recievers and 1 transmitter, no way I'd keep buying regular cr123's. 2 packs of these should help!

http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Recha...0S/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1302300253&sr=8-12

or lightstands

yeah, i just spent $180 on a cine-stand......this and my c-stand are the only stands i really payed retail for. My regular light stands I picked up from closing studios around town for $5-10ea.

oh and i hate buying camdapter plates or the anti-slip quick release plates, and umbrella adapters.

Wobistdu

Oh yeah...filters piss me off. They're retardedly priced and unless you have the proper step-up rings you have to get different sizes and if you use step-up rings then you can't use lens hoods. :o

thank GOD stepup rings are like $15

but it sucks how much money you have to shell out for a good fillter. if you cheap out on something like a CPL, it's totally worthless

that's why i hate UV filters. you need to spend big money to get high quality ones that won't soften your image. ugh.

s14brent

Apr 29, 2009
las vegas
gaffers tape. I NEED it, but hate buying it. No idea why, just do.

a lot of my small items (superclamps/magicarms/umbrella adapters/pocketwizards) have white gaffers tape on them. lost so many small black things from working in low lit areas, hell even the shorty lightstands have it too. i hate having bad eyes :wtc:

huntz0r

Apr 18, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Starting to look like it's going to be the cost of buying a D7000 over a D90 :o

hopefully that will subside when it is in my hands though...

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
I bought 75 bucks worth of lenscaps and tailcaps. As soon as the order comes in, i found EVERY SINGLE CAP THAT I'VE EVER LOST. :mad:

Divided Sky

Sep 24, 2002
USA
film and development costs around twice a month

question about desiccants:
i bought some for my camera and lens bag. i put one packet in with my camera, and one in each lens bag. is it worthless because its not in an airtight seal? do they only work in airtight boxes?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan