ENT Book crew: what are you reading?

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
reading Gideon the Ninth from Tamsyn Muir, solid stuff so far, about lesbian necromancers in space

my favorite subject matter

Reactions: lowfat

Cyan Connect

It is the unknown that defines our existence.
OT Supporter
Mar 3, 2005
The book that I mentioned here in this thread a while back, Ramadi Declassified by Colonel Anthony E. Deane, Retired, is very good. So far, I read approximately the first 40 pages, and it so far mostly talks about the history of Iraq from the Ottoman Period to the War On Terrorism in 2006.

• Love
Reactions: Simius The Monkey

majesty

OT Supporter
Jun 6, 2003
🌍
Just finished The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russel. I liked the delving into the culture and society of Rakhat and how the Runa fit into the world. Pretty awesome. Disagree with her musings on religion and faith though.

Reading The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin now.

Reactions: silkforcalde

Menger

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2011
started a new baseball book if that interests anyone - called Our Team, it's about the 1948 Cleveland Indians that featured Larry Doby, who broke the color barrier in the American League, and Satchel Paige, who came to MLB in his 40s after 20+ years in the Negro Leagues. Those two led the Cleveland to the 1948 World Series title etc.
finished this one last week, it was really good ... Satchel Paige was hilarious, the owner Bill Veeck was a legend etc

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
Just finished The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russel. I liked the delving into the culture and society of Rakhat and how the Runa fit into the world. Pretty awesome. Disagree with her musings on religion and faith though.

Reading The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin now.

the fifth season is amazing

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
dT2ERAx.jpg

Thunderbear

Yggdrasil's Forester.
Read The Atlantis Gene, which did not, unfortunately, refer to the Stargate.

But seriously, it was so formulaic that I really had a hard time convincing myself that I had not already read the first 25% of the book. Nazi sub, frozen in ice kicks off a chain of world altering events, with a shadowy operative coming to the forefront of a worldwide intelligence agency's attempt to save the world. Also, autism is the next step in human evolution.

So OT and Reddit are the next iteration of homo sapiens? Christ, that's a terrifying thought. :hmm:

Menger

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2011
yesterday I finished Hiking With Nietzsche … such a good book … I’m very into these philosophical topics right now, might be a mid life crisis 🤣

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
@amalgamas Will Wight is already giving his new book away. :wtf:

he does this all the time, IIRC he released a blog once awhile ago that he makes something 95% of his profit on any of his books in the first month and anything after that is just icing, so in his mind the best way to make it so the next one sells high is to get as many people invested as possible. Ergo: give it away for free for a limited amount of time to get them hooked.

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
yeah gideon the ninth is pretty legit. it honestly kind of reminds me of gormenghast a little. not NEARLY as verbose though. but the whole gothic aesthetic with extremely diverse and strongly defined characters, that reminds me of gormenghast.

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
The Rise of Superman is my current read. A look at getting into the state of "flow" and how extreme athletes tend to operate in that state by default when doing their thing.

I've started reading Behave and another book Misbehaving in parallel. I think those were @Dylith recs.

Menger

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2011
yesterday I finished Hiking With Nietzsche … such a good book … I’m very into these philosophical topics right now, might be a mid life crisis 🤣
Followed this one up with a fiction book inspired by Jung/Nietzsche - ‘Demian’ by Herman Hesse. Very good coming of age story, I guess it’s super popular in South Korea which is interesting.

Frank White

Through thick and thin...
OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Dirty Jerz
Still reading Dune

Just finished up Child Of God by McCarthy :ugh:

Also reading A Carlin Home Companion which is by George Carlin’s daughter

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandy Lyle