ENT Book crew: what are you reading?

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
started N0S4A2 by Joe Hill, made it over 100 pages so far tonight. really digging this one, moreso than Heart Shaped Box or The Fireman. still feel that he rides his dad's coattails a bit too much tho

Cyan Connect

It is the unknown that defines our existence.
OT Supporter
Mar 3, 2005
I don't know if I told you guys this, but I have a bunch of audiobooks on Audible and one of them is called Beirut Rules. It is about Lieutenant Colonel William F. Buckley, who was a U.S. Army Officer and the CIA Station Chief in Lebanon. It has to do with him, the Hezbollah group in Lebanon, and other factions that are active in the region.

• Love
Reactions: Simius The Monkey

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
Getting around to book 2 of The Burning. :nod:
F99fIzF.jpg

novo

how's your dad?
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
Low Haight
Continuing on my year of classics that I never read, I'm halfway through Crime and Punishment and it is :bowdown:

It is still very prescient and entertaining with many quotes that I've written down.

War and Peace is next and will probably take me to Thanksgiving to get through

Miesha Taint

May 6, 2006
Continuing on my year of classics that I never read, I'm halfway through Crime and Punishment and it is :bowdown:

It is still very prescient and entertaining with many quotes that I've written down.
lol I remember doing this, one of my favorite quotes:

He closed his hand on the twenty kopecks, walked on for ten paces, and turned facing the Neva, looking towards the palace. The sky was cloudless and the water was almost bright blue, which is so rare in the Neva. The dome of the cathedral, which is seen at its best from the bridge about twenty paces from the chapel, glittered in the sunlight, and in the pure air every ornament on it could be clearly distinguished. The pain from the lash eased off, and Raskolnikov forgot about it; one uneasy and not quite definite idea now occupied him completely. He stood still, and gazed long and intently into the distance; this spot was especially familiar to him. When he was attending the university, he had hundreds of times—generally on his way home—stood still on this spot, gazed at this truly magnificent spectacle and almost always marveled at a vague and mysterious emotion it aroused in him. It left him strangely cold; for him, this gorgeous picture was blank and lifeless. He wondered every time at his somber and enigmatic impression and, mistrusting himself, put off finding an explanation for it. He vividly recalled those old doubts and perplexities, and it seemed to him that it was no mere chance that he recalled them now. It struck him as strange and grotesque that he should have stopped at the same spot as before, as though he actually imagined he could think the same thoughts, be interested in the same theories and pictures that had interested him . . . so short a time ago. He felt it almost amusing, and yet it wrung his heart. Deep down, hidden far away out of sight all that seemed to him now—all his old past, his old thoughts, his old problems and theories, his old impressions and that picture and himself and all, all . . . He felt as though he were flying upwards, and everything were vanishing from his sight. Making an unconscious movement with his hand, he suddenly became aware of the piece of money in his fist. He opened his hand, stared at the coin, and with a sweep his arm flung it into the water; then he turned and went home. It seemed to him, he had cut himself off from every one and from everything at that moment.

if you like c&p check out the underground man, it's a short one

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
Finally getting to A Memory Called Empire. Bought it @ in January or something. Was recommended on r/fantasy. Had no idea what it was about. But it isn't fantasy. :confused:

DVO3M78.jpg

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
finished NOS4A2 by Joe Hill, took me longer than i thought because i'm reading a lot of stuff right now but i really liked this book, best straight horror book i've read in ages. way better ending than you'd get from one of his dad's books. his dad is Stephen King in case you don't know.

got a few books lined up next. not sure which i'll read first. maybe the new Sarah Pinsker. i got All Systems Red by Martha Wells and the latest in that series won the latest Nebula so i might read that one. 6 books in that series but All Systems Red is short so they might all be short.

also been reading Get in Trouble by Kelly Link, a short story collection. her stories are really tricky and dump you into scenarios and fly back and forth in time, quite good stuff.

MassMan

Aug 26, 2004
Somerville, MA
finished NOS4A2 by Joe Hill, took me longer than i thought because i'm reading a lot of stuff right now but i really liked this book, best straight horror book i've read in ages. way better ending than you'd get from one of his dad's books. his dad is Stephen King in case you don't know.

got a few books lined up next. not sure which i'll read first. maybe the new Sarah Pinsker. i got All Systems Red by Martha Wells and the latest in that series won the latest Nebula so i might read that one. 6 books in that series but All Systems Red is short so they might all be short.

also been reading Get in Trouble by Kelly Link, a short story collection. her stories are really tricky and dump you into scenarios and fly back and forth in time, quite good stuff.

Late Returns is an amazing short/novella he put out last year. It’s a touch emotional but great. It’s in Full Throttle or you can get it as a standalone

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
Late Returns is an amazing short/novella he put out last year. It’s a touch emotional but great. It’s in Full Throttle or you can get it as a standalone

i just read full throttle before this one, all the stories were pretty good. the one about the demon in greece or whatever where it was written with the lines made to look like stairs wasn't my favorite though.

all i haven't read from him is the first collection, 21st century ghosts i think? the collection of four novellas and horns

i've read all his comics too, locke and key is my favorite of his works

Reactions: MassMan

MassMan

Aug 26, 2004
Somerville, MA
i just read full throttle before this one, all the stories were pretty good. the one about the demon in greece or whatever where it was written with the lines made to look like stairs wasn't my favorite though.

all i haven't read from him is the first collection, 21st century ghosts i think? the collection of four novellas and horns

i've read all his comics too, locke and key is my favorite of his works

Yeah that one had the heart shaped box story I think in it? People seemed to love it, if just wasn’t for me. I really like his writing style though and he’s been added to me “yeah, I’ll check this out” list each time he puts something new out

Publius

Professor of Triggerednometry
Jan 16, 2004
Big D by the Trinity
love this series. the follow up books are great too... they're all prequels that explore completely different aspects of life. Chasm City, The Prefect (retitled Aurora Rising a few years ago), and Elysium Fire.

According to wiki there is a 4th in the original series now too, looks like it was just released on 7/27. :eek5:

edit: oh boo looks like it got pushed to October

Reactions: Dylith and AndyP

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
RE Gentleman Bastards
Loved the first book. 2nd was alright. Read the third. Won't read the rest. The whole name calling crao between Jean and Locke was just way out of character. Also Sabetha is kinda a cunt. Love the lore, but it is going nowhere.

Plus the author has crippling anxiety / depression. I doubt the series will actually ever be finished.

Publius

Professor of Triggerednometry
Jan 16, 2004
Big D by the Trinity
House of Suns is the best Reynolds book to start with? or should I jump straight into one of the series?
I've actually never finished anything by him outside the Revelation Space universe, so idk. There isn't anything wrong with the books, but they never grabbed my attention the way Revelation Space did. There are parts of that trilogy that are still vivid in my memory even though I last read it like a decade ago.

Reactions: Axespeed and AndyP

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
RE Gentleman Bastards
Loved the first book. 2nd was alright. Read the third. Won't read the rest. The whole name calling crao between Jean and Locke was just way out of character. Also Sabetha is kinda a cunt. Love the lore, but it is going nowhere.

Plus the author has crippling anxiety / depression. I doubt the series will actually ever be finished.

i liked the first a fair amount, high 7 / low 8 out of 10 type of deal

did not like the second much, stopped there. heard the third was worse which apparently you agree with so i never bothered.

Reactions: MassMan

AndyP

OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2004
I've actually never finished anything by him outside the Revelation Space universe, so idk. There isn't anything wrong with the books, but they never grabbed my attention the way Revelation Space did. There are parts of that trilogy that are still vivid in my memory even though I last read it like a decade ago.
That’s how i feel about some of his work. I’ve left one or two at ~40% finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marsillpost