Jun 13, 2005
Hit up the Princeton summer sale and grabbed some new books:

PuP.jpg

Frank White

Through thick and thin...
OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Dirty Jerz
Dune gets progressively worse to the point where its unreadable by book 6. I recommend not continuing if you were lukewarm on book 1.
Will not be continuing. Even if u said they got better. It was something I needed to finish to check off in my brain but very middle of the road for me

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
i loved dune when i was 14, i read up to god emperor of dune and felt that it wasn't as good so i stopped there. i remember liking the first three about the same.

reread dune a handful of years ago and didn't like it as much this time around, did not read more than the first.

Cyan Connect

It is the unknown that defines our existence.
OT Supporter
Mar 3, 2005
While I disagree with him politically, Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman's (retired) book comes out tomorrow. I thought about getting it as his interview with Anderson Cooper sounded interesting tonight. The book comes out 8/3/2021 and is called Here, Right Matters.

• Love
Reactions: Simius The Monkey

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
i loved dune when i was 14, i read up to god emperor of dune and felt that it wasn't as good so i stopped there. i remember liking the first three about the same.

reread dune a handful of years ago and didn't like it as much this time around, did not read more than the first.
the first dune was a 7/10er on a reread as an adult

i honestly only liked the final act bc it was brisk and exciting

i think it only works as an action scifi novel

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
the first dune was a 7/10er on a reread as an adult

i honestly only liked the final act bc it was brisk and exciting

i think it only works as an action scifi novel

yeah 7 / 10 seems about right, maybe a 6.5 or so.

i feel like i loved it so much at 14 because i didn't have a frame of reference but reading it after reading books like hyperion and it just doesn't compare

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
Top 10 sci fi novels:

Hyperion
Neuromancer
Oryx and crake
Forever war
Slaughterhouse five
Left hand of darkness
Snow crash
Brave new world
The three body problem

Ranger-AO

IED Hunter
OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2004
A bad place
started the murderbot diaries by martha wells and these are pretty fun. got the first four and they are all super short books, novellas for sure. all about this android that has somehow hacked itself free of its controls but has to hide that from people and its perspective as a machine created for violence but completely apathetic about everything in general.
Murderbot is a fucking awesome series :bowdown:

Another AI/human team genre (not as good, but still enjoyable) is the two-book series: Lost Solace / Chasing Solace, by Karl Drinkwat

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
flow my tears, the policeman said
hyperion
anathem
tales of the dying earth
area x trilogy
borne
neuromancer
cryptonomicon
broken earth trilogy
the city & the city

if i had to pick one from the series i listed, i'd go with eyes of the overworld from the dying earth, authority from area x, and the stone sky from broken earth (this one is just basically randomly chosen)

gonna have to think about some of the newer stuff but i'm pretty sure i'm gonna put gideon the ninth on my top 10 list at some point

also ancillary justice is amazing

three body problem was fun but wouldn't be on my list but man those sequels WOOFTA

sans_pants

I don't want any damn vegetables
OT Supporter
May 2, 2002
Top 10 sci fi novels:

Hyperion
Neuromancer
Oryx and crake
Forever war
Slaughterhouse five
Left hand of darkness
Snow crash
Brave new world
The three body problem

not a single fucking soviet

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marsillpost