ENT Book crew: what are you reading?

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
i'm partway into authority right now, it's a pretty clever way to talk about area x without just having a ton of exposition. too bad acceptance isn't as good.

i took a look at some of his other books at the bookstore, nothing really grabbed me though. have you read any of the ambergris books? they seem like they might be interesting

i've read all his books except the predator adaptation

ambergris books are good. city of saints and madmen is pretty much my favorite thing he's done, it's a collection of novellas and short stories about the city. there's an omnibus that collects the whole trilogy but it doesn't have everything the standalone hardcover for city of saints and madmen has, but you can find some of that stuff for free anyway. shriek: an afterword is a really strange book that has some odd stylistic choices, it's a memoir about an art gallery owner but it's also a series of notes her brother that was an explorer wrote, it has some amazing stuff but it's a tough nut to crack. finch, the last one, is one of his best books too, it's kind of a noir murder mystery / horror novel.

the borne trilogy is mostly great, borne itself is fantastic, kind of an ecological sci fi novel with lots of biological experimentation run amok, the strange bird is a really good novella set in the same area about a minor character. dead astronauts is weird and impenetrable, interesting but one of the wilder books i've read. kind of post fiction, very experimental, set in the same world but a multiverse version of it.

his short fiction collections are up there with gene wolfe imo, very nightmarish / dreamlike.

hummingbird salamander, his latest novel, is a really solid ecothriller. not one of my favorites but he's one of my favorite authors so i still loved it.

and there's the "young adult" novel he wrote right before it called a peculiar peril, it's sufficiently bizarre, kind of in the mold of something like Abarat by Clive Barker. it's not really YA even though it was marketed that way.

veniss underground i read when it was new in 2003 and haven't read again, i don't remember much about it.

acceptance is still a great book btw, it just wasn't as much of a page turner for me. it has some of the best parts in the series, i really liked the lighthouse keeper stuff.

Reactions: Tesla Death Ray

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
Time to finally finish off the Witcher books. Been like 3 years tho and can't remember eff all. :hmm:

LiRzB8R.jpg
Maybe the most disappointing book I've finished. Wouldn't have finished if I didn't want to see how CDPR picked up from on TW1 and how they changed the story. Book was boring af 99% of the time. And shitty overall. Even tho it was on sale it wasn't worth it. :o

Started
m13P2hS.jpg

Miesha Taint

May 6, 2006
Was looking for something similar to The Bear by Andrew Krivak and found this.

Definitely scratching that itch.

34912895.jpg

Leah

OT Supporter
Dec 30, 2006
Oz
I just finished Once There Were Wolves by Charlotte McConaghy. Excellent, 10/10 has a little bit of everything. Want to read her other novel, Migrations, ASAP.

Currently reading She Who Became the Sun by Shelley Parker-Chan, a fantasy debut about the beginning of the Ming Dynasty.

Reactions: Miesha Taint

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
started a full murakami read, i've read probably half of his books before. on his first novel, Hear the Wind Sing, which was not published in English back when i read his other earlier stuff back around 2003 or so. so far it's a bit more rudimentary than his later novels but it's pretty compelling from the start. mostly about some guy drinking with his buddy the Rat and reminiscing about troubles they'd found themselves in and different ideas they had. it's a pretty short book, about 100 pages long, so i'm not really sure where it's going.

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
Anyone else finish it?

Gorst :bowdown: + :wtc:. Always thought the dood was awesome. Awesome to see him go out like that.
Orso. Fucking :wtc:. Best character in the series IMO. One of 2 people in the book who actually seemed to have positive growth.
Vick :bowdown:. Very rare to see someone actually do the right thing and not get fucked for it in Abercrombie's books. :bowdown:

The eater fight @ the end. :eek4:
And is that Glustrod reborn or whatever in Rikke's vision? :noes:

EDIT:

v8bZctZ.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marsillpost