ENT Book crew: what are you reading?

Thunderbear

Yggdrasil's Forester.
The Vampire Earth series. It's, surprisingly not bad, for such an insane description. Sounds like one of those esoteric no-one-watches Netflix series, tbh

In the year 2022 CE, a seemingly immortal extraterrestrial race called "Kurians" has wrested control of the Earth from its inhabitants. The Kurians derive their endless lifespans from draining the "aura" (life energy) of other life forms. To facilitate this addiction to life energy, the Kurians employ avatars known as "Reapers".

Following the Kurian takeover, many humans made the decision to serve the new overlords. These traitors, known as Quislings, are set up as members of the police and supervisory government for the Kurian Order. Nearly every other human who is not a Quisling is known as a Territorial, and is either a slave scratching out a living in various trades, or fighting with rebel organizations such as the Southern Command.

After a time, the Kurian Order reduced Earth to a technological and social Dark Age, with only the few remaining pre-2022 machines and transportation networks surviving, with most of these under Kurian control. As an incentive to good and loyal service to the Kurian Lords, Quislings are awarded bonds of various lengths of years (3, 5, 10), which protect the wearers from the Reapers. Even more sought after is the "Brass Ring". A Brass Ring ensures that one never has to fear being randomly taken by the Reapers at night, although it can be revoked and cannot be passed to one's children.

Pockets of resistance do exist, however. The main rebel group fighting the Order at the beginning of the series is known as Southern Command. A formal military (though classified by the Order as terrorists) is charged with the defense of the Ozark Free Territory; Southern Command would be doomed were it not for the Hunters.

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
Loving it so far. :bowdown:
LVAHKqq.jpg

Reactions: Leah

wildflower

OT Supporter
May 17, 2002
No place for older men
In the middle of Fool or Physician by Anthony Daniels. (A pseudonym of Theodore Dalyrymple).

Young doctor who is kind of meh about the whole thing winds up going to different third world countries and treating the folk there.
he's a great writer.

MassMan

Aug 26, 2004
Somerville, MA
Burning through audiobooks the past few weeks. Finished the first 3 books of Ex Heroes by Peter Clines.

I’m about 1/3rd the way through Gideon The Ninth (I think someone on here suggested it a while ago) so far it’s interesting

Reactions: lowfat

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
Burning through audiobooks the past few weeks. Finished the first 3 books of Ex Heroes by Peter Clines.

I’m about 1/3rd the way through Gideon The Ninth (I think someone on here suggested it a while ago) so far it’s interesting
Loved that series. Shame they'll likely never continue since his other novels seem to have done way better. Although I've never read anything else of his besides Ex-Heroes. Shit, been 6 years already since the last one.

Reactions: MassMan

MassMan

Aug 26, 2004
Somerville, MA
Loved that series. Shame they'll likely never continue since his other novels seem to have done way better. Although I've never read anything else of his besides Ex-Heroes. Shit, been 6 years already since the last one.

I liked his book “14” (and the 2 sequels were worth it but nothing special).

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marsillpost