Book crew: what are you reading?

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
This was a hard series to get into, oddly, despite really liking urban fantasy. Took about 4 books before it really settled. Worldwise and mythology-wise, it's like a cross between Mercy Thompson and the Iron Druid, with native American shamanistic magic and Irish mythology mixed.

View attachment 269728
That cover is terrible. Like reminds me of 90s TV shows like Charmed.

ZeroDeeFeX

OT Supporter
Oct 9, 2002
Boulder, CO
the end of all the combined series is the only thing i've ever read that made me cry like a little baby

easily, EASILY top 3 fantasy, incredible ending. everything is earned and fits together perfectly.

I still remember when I got a copy of assassin’s apprentice in high school and I’ve read everything in the realm of the elderlings pretty much as soon as it hits. The ending absolutely hit me hard in the feels, too.

It’s funny that she so perfectly captures friendships. I agree with you that RotE is top 3 along with the Solar Cycle for me.

Kafka

PaulGiamattiFan420
OT Supporter
Feb 16, 2007
America
Tad Williams Stone of Farewell. It’s fantasy. Second in the trilogy. Very long but getting better.

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
I still remember when I got a copy of assassin’s apprentice in high school and I’ve read everything in the realm of the elderlings pretty much as soon as it hits. The ending absolutely hit me hard in the feels, too.

It’s funny that she so perfectly captures friendships. I agree with you that RotE is top 3 along with the Solar Cycle for me.

contrast that with robert jordan where perrin, rand, and mat are "friends" but boy it sure never feels like it

• Haha
Reactions: ZeroDeeFeX

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
why is it every single time it mentions nynaeve it's like "she's wearing more scandalous clothing than when she was in the two rivers but it's still stout, good, homespun wool"

i really think if you cut out the repetitive descriptions (we get it, the dark one is touching the world, vegetation is suffering, people are gonna starve, jesus fuckin wept WE GET IT) you'd have maybe one book left in the whole 14 book series

wildflower

OT Supporter
May 17, 2002
No place for older men
I just finished Lonesome Dove. I always recommend the mini-series to people - Robert Duvall is so goddamn good.

The book is something like 750 pages, and usually, this kind of book would put me off.
Here I was wanting more.

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
I just finished Lonesome Dove. I always recommend the mini-series to people - Robert Duvall is so goddamn good.

The book is something like 750 pages, and usually, this kind of book would put me off.
Here I was wanting more.
Remember watching it as a child with my parents. Bought bluray ages ago but never watched it. :o

vr6vdub

Formz can't handle his emotions.
OT Supporter
Apr 11, 2009
nova
Lol I've been reading this novella series called Murderbot. It's pretty bad but I'm committed to finishing.

Any good new post-apocolyptic books?

vr6vdub

Formz can't handle his emotions.
OT Supporter
Apr 11, 2009
nova
Really? It is praised pretty highly on r/fantasy. And reviews pretty highly on goodreads.
Idk... Can't quite put my finger on it. I mean, it was good enough for me to start the third book. It's a little basic I guess from a literary standpoint. Never once have I had a problem putting it down for the night.

Definitely check it out as the high praise is what turned me on to it. I think it would make s good movie tbh.

Menger

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2011
Oooh...I need to read that. Watched the movie and it was fucking intense at the beginning when he put his gun to his son's head. :hs:
Oh ya if you haven’t read that … I think that’s the one. I don’t even read fiction but that book was intense and I still think about it often.

Reactions: vr6vdub

Leah

OT Supporter
Dec 30, 2006
Oz

Here I was wanting more.
This is one of my dad’s favorite books and he’s been telling me to read it forever :o

Leah

OT Supporter
Dec 30, 2006
Oz
I’m a little over halfway through The Book Thief by Markus Zusak…if the back half holds up this might be one of the best WWII novels I’ve ever read.

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
Lol I've been reading this novella series called Murderbot. It's pretty bad but I'm committed to finishing.

Any good new post-apocolyptic books?

murderbot diaries is fuckin dope what the hell dude

reading this book:

519oAbjs1vL._AC_SY780_.jpg

great so far, seanan mcguire has really become one of the best out there in the past few years. this is a kind of sequel of sorts to Middlegame which was an incredible book. hope this one is as good, it's pretty fantastic so far. her prose is just damn near impeccable.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6