Book crew: what are you reading?

NULL_bits

OT Supporter
Feb 10, 2021
Finished Call of the Wild. It was alright. I think I’m over my short classics mood and wanting something a bit different now, not sure what yet.

Reactions: Cyan Connect

GRattu

OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2007
The first two short story books are great. The series I wouldn't bother with. Starts ok. But every book is worse than the last. And the finale is the worst book I've ever read.
Yeah the book starts out really strong but it's running out of steam

Nonphixion

Oct 12, 2003
Vienna, Austria
Just finished book two of the three body problem, got damn the last 120 pages are dark as fuck. Then you get a slight 10 pages of hope near the end.

ZGZoT3s.jpg

The creator of the Netflix show was assassinated, (died of mysterious poisoning) I believe because this book does not speak kindly of the Chinese Communist Party

• Cool
Reactions: lowfat and Kafka

Kafka

PaulGiamattiFan420
OT Supporter
Feb 16, 2007
America
Just finished book two of the three body problem, got damn the last 120 pages are dark as fuck. Then you get a slight 10 pages of hope near the end.

ZGZoT3s.jpg

The creator of the Netflix show was assassinated, (died of mysterious poisoning) I believe because this book does not speak kindly of the Chinese Communist Party
I don’t think that’s true. the author is very pro-China and his views are very in line with mainstream Chinese views. He was in some controversy in the West because he basically believes what China says about the Ughyers

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
started the last book of The Wheel of Time, the light at the end of the tunnel is now enveloping me. i can see the green pastures waiting for me and i'm ready to frolic in them.

do not ever read this series. you've been warned. it's so boring.

Kafka

PaulGiamattiFan420
OT Supporter
Feb 16, 2007
America
started the last book of The Wheel of Time, the light at the end of the tunnel is now enveloping me. i can see the green pastures waiting for me and i'm ready to frolic in them.

I need to finish wheel of time. I’m on book 3.

GRattu

OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2007
Finished The Witcher: Last Wish last night. Gonna read Astrophysics for People in a Hurry next to switch it up from so much fantasy/fiction stuff the last few months

Reactions: Kafka

wildflower

OT Supporter
May 17, 2002
No place for older men
Finished Call of the Wild. It was alright. I think I’m over my short classics mood and wanting something a bit different now, not sure what yet.
Try some early Elmore Leonard. He started out writing Westerns, and they were fucking terrific.
Any decent sized library will probably have copies online that you can borrow.

At one point, he saw the writing on the wall, stopped writing westerns, and began writing other stuff.

Reactions: NULL_bits

sans_pants

I don't want any damn vegetables
OT Supporter
May 2, 2002
Try some early Elmore Leonard. He started out writing Westerns, and they were fucking terrific.
Any decent sized library will probably have copies online that you can borrow.

At one point, he saw the writing on the wall, stopped writing westerns, and began writing other stuff.
His crime stuff is good too imo

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007

Tried twice to finish the series and bailed in book six both times

The absolute definition of fantasy bloat. Robert Jordan wasn't a very good storyteller and his prose was basic bitch tier

• Wow

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
I need to finish wheel of time. I’m on book 3.
First four books are solid

Book five is where it starts dragging and by 400 pgs or so into six unless you have the patience of a saint and can tolerate endless chapters full of boring minutia you will inevitably bail. I can't see how anyone ever finished that series lol

Wolf

devastatingly foppish
OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2003
San Jose, CA
About halfway through Bonfire of the Vanities.

61HKbhe7oxL._AC_SY780_.jpg

Had heard the title for years, then while watching an episode of The Borgias, they showed the actual Bonfire of the Vanities (maniacal friar went around Italy gathering people's luxury items and burning them a week long bonfire in the middle of the town). So I googled the book, and the story seemed interesting.... New York in the 80s, stock trader hits a black kid with his car in the ghetto and the subsequent investigation and trial.

Reactions: GRattu

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6