Book crew: what are you reading?

NULL_bits

OT Supporter
Feb 10, 2021
Done with Jurassic Park. The first act was way better than the movie but the rest was kind of just ok.

I'm deciding whether to read Lost World or another sci-fi book that does not take place in space. Any recs?

Book of the New Sun (Gene Wolfe) is fantastic. It's set on Earth in the very far distant future (millions of years, the sun is at the point of dimming), where civilization has risen and collapsed many times. The planet has been completely depleted and little fragments of high technology through the ages still exist but the current civilization is in a sort of pre-industrial point in time.

It's like a kaleidoscope for your brain! Really intriguing once you get into it.

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
halfway through the last Wheel of Time book and i actually think this is one of the worst. it's just all these horribly written battle scenes and a bunch of different factions insulting each other. it's so basic and repetitive. this is hands down one of the worst fantasy series ever written. also i haven't read other Sanderson books and i don't think i ever will, his writing is just horrible. some of the worst prose i've read in years.

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
this is the last time in my life i ever do something like this. no more. only going to read good shit and if something is boring i'm shelving it.

• Dislike
Reactions: lowfat

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
i did kinda like the last chapter and this development where Graendal is influencing the dreams of the captains of all the battles to make them lose is marginally diverting

this book is way too long. all of them are. if i were the editor i'd be like "let's condense all this stuff and flat out cut out 75% of these books"

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
i did kinda like the last chapter and this development where Graendal is influencing the dreams of the captains of all the battles to make them lose is marginally diverting

this book is way too long. all of them are. if i were the editor i'd be like "let's condense all this stuff and flat out cut out 75% of these books"
Like I said earlier it's like they follow the dickensian paid by the word model but without actually being able to write

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
I simply can't believe you made it through the series tho lol

Book six was already an unbearable chore

Gotcha38

OT Supporter
May 9, 2004
South Carolina
Just finished a fun fantasy book by Andrew Rowe. And started this:
Chambers_PsalmWildBuilt.jpg

I really enjoyed A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet and it's sequels. So I decided to read this book too. A chapter or two in and I'm already hooked.

Boing

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2007
About a quarter of the way through this

uKx2IS3.png

Gonna try and do the entire fucking thing this time (though last time I read it the series wasn't even complete). Doing the audiobook version which its pretty enjoyable tbh. This is the first audiobook I've ever listened to.

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
About a quarter of the way through this

uKx2IS3.png

Gonna try and do the entire fucking thing this time (though last time I read it the series wasn't even complete). Doing the audiobook version which its pretty enjoyable tbh. This is the first audiobook I've ever listened to.
Bro just stop now

Im dead serious

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
:wtc: goddamnit

It's solid still so far - but I think when I read it originally I only made it thru this book and maybe one more?

I'm listening while doing cardio.

i've heard people say they could do the audiobooks better than the written books. might be true.

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
this is @amalgamas 's fault, he told me to do this iirc
giphy.gif

I would never have, I've held true to my statement that books 6-11 are some of the worst slogs in all of high fantasy with book 10 being so goddamn awful it stopped me in my tracks 3 times when I tried to finish the series after Sanderson wrapped it up.

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
does it at least end well if you stick with it?
Sanderson wrapped it up pretty well, but he pruned and just straight up ignored so many threads that Jordan setup out of simple necessity.

Remember, the original series was only supposed to be 6 books but then Robert and his wife kept adding on to it and by the time he died it had grown into the monster it became.

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
Honestly, I don't know how Winters Heart will be on audio, but if you were reading it normally my recommendation would be just to read a synopsis and skip the entire book, it's that fucking awful.

Boing

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2007
giphy.gif

I would never have, I've held true to my statement that books 6-11 are some of the worst slogs in all of high fantasy with book 10 being so goddamn awful it stopped me in my tracks 3 times when I tried to finish the series after Sanderson wrapped it up.

99003235-b5cd-4883-a61a-58a09b3e15a4_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: amalgamas

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6