Book crew: what are you reading?

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
Only if you don't give a fuck about conclusions. And book 2 was so cringe.
DON'T YOU GET IT

IT'S CAUSE HE'S AN UNRELIABLE NARRATOR

THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT

SO READ MULTIPLE CHAPTERS ABOUT HOW MARTY-STU RED-HAIR MCVIRGINPANTS MANAGES TO SEDUCE A SEX GODDESS

giphy.gif

Dylith

OT Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
I quit reading fantasy for years and went to classics and am basically only drawn to great prose at this point. Five books into the Malazan series and it's fulfilling both being entertained by the genre and on prose. Erikson is awesome
Ah, I'm not very big on eloquent prose. I read a lot of non-fiction, some of it fairly dry and technical. When I read fiction, I want to be able to turn my mind off and follow along. As long as the story is good, and the characters are well written, I tend to enjoy it.

Not as big of a fan of some of the newer gritty writers or when the plot movement gets too bogged down.

I didnt really care for the First Law series for example. Thought he wrote good characters, but nothing about the plot made me care about them or their missions.

Hated The Magicians series and really struggled with the Kingkiller Cronicle.

Kafka

PaulGiamattiFan420
OT Supporter
Feb 16, 2007
America
if you guys read so much how you come you don't seem to know ANYTHING? just an observation sorry
Because they read dumb shit from dudes who won’t be remembered past their lifetime. Karl Marx - all you need mang

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
Hated The Magicians series and really struggled with the Kingkiller Cronicle.
I bailed on that one literally 6 chapters in, I know that you're not supposed to "like" the main character, but I fucking hated him and the writing was no where near well crafted enough to carry me through that hatred. :o

Petey!

Oh Yeah!
OT Supporter
Mar 31, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Im reading through the first Black Company book right now. Its a bit slow but I feel like it'll get decent.

Im also itching to re-read through Malazan. I should probably read those Karsa books.

Dylith

OT Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
Just finishing up this:

1728614 (1).jpg

Also finished the most recent Mistborn book. I thought it was pretty good. I like the second era mistborn series better than the first i think with perhaps the exception of the very first book.

Menger

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2011
I’m reading a book on Afghanistan called ‘No Good Men Among the Living’ and it’s super sad. Explains how that place ended up a mess.

Reactions: Dylith

Rev. Johnny Vegas

Djent is not a genre
Jun 13, 2001
Just finished another Philip K. Dick novel....

1670458115483.png

And started American Midnight by Adam Hochschild. His King Leopold's Ghost was a fantastic read about late colonialism.

1670458230601.png

Rev. Johnny Vegas

Djent is not a genre
Jun 13, 2001
what'd you think of androids? i like it, it's not one of my favorite Dick novels. i loved the ending though.
For the record, I've read it before, but it's been at least 20 years.

I can't say it's one of my favorites either, but it's still a good one.

I think Dr. Bloodmoney is my favorite, followed by We Can Remember It For You Wholesale and The Man In The High Castle.

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
For the record, I've read it before, but it's been at least 20 years.

I can't say it's one of my favorites either, but it's still a good one.

I think Dr. Bloodmoney is my favorite, followed by We Can Remember It For You Wholesale and The Man In The High Castle.

the man in the high castle is great for sure, i haven't read dr bloodmoney unless it's another short story like we can remember it in which case i probably have, i read a big short story collection of his a while back

flow my tears, the policeman said is my favorite of his books

Rev. Johnny Vegas

Djent is not a genre
Jun 13, 2001
the man in the high castle is great for sure, i haven't read dr bloodmoney unless it's another short story like we can remember it in which case i probably have, i read a big short story collection of his a while back

flow my tears, the policeman said is my favorite of his books
Dr. Bloodmoney is a novel.

And I haven’t read Policeman, but I have it on my list to get to at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6