Book crew: what are you reading?

wildflower

OT Supporter
May 17, 2002
No place for older men
Just finished The Streets of Laredo by Larry McMurtry. Excellent - part two of Lonesome Dove.

Currently rereading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. A book that cries to be made into a movie, but no one seems to know how.

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
Just finished The Streets of Laredo by Larry McMurtry. Excellent - part two of Lonesome Dove.

Currently rereading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. A book that cries to be made into a movie, but no one seems to know how.
I got his new one - the passenger waiting on me

Excited to try it

Gotcha38

OT Supporter
May 9, 2004
South Carolina
Will be starting this next.
AgbKLGk.jpg
I really enjoyed getting a look at The Fool and seeing some stuff written from his perspective.

Reactions: lowfat

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
I mean....it depends on what your definition of "major" is, but I would consider these pretty major characters:

Egwene al'Vere
Birgitte Silverbow
Gawyn Trakand
Rhuarc, Clan Chief of the Taarad Aiel, Nine Valleys Sept. Aethan Dor
Suian Sanche
Gareth Byrne
Davram and Diera Bashere
Alanna Mosvani
Hurin

Sure, only three of them were there from the very beginning of the series, but that doesn't take away from their impact on the story. :dunno:

that's like 1% of the cast and
Birgitte doesn't actually die, she just returns to the patten.

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
that's like 1% of the cast and
Birgitte doesn't actually die, she just returns to the patten.
yeah, but see you're moving the goalposts now, cause first you said no one major and now you're making it about how many of them died.

that's a quibble cause technically everyone not killed by balefire (and immediately rescued by the Dark One) returns to the pattern when they die, she was definitely murked, then brought back by the horn, then faded away because she was being reborn with no memories so you could call that personality death since her character has faded from the story.

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
yeah, but see you're moving the goalposts now, cause first you said no one major and now you're making it about how many of them died.

that's a quibble cause technically everyone not killed by balefire (and immediately rescued by the Dark One) returns to the pattern when they die, she was definitely murked, then brought back by the horn, then faded away because she was being reborn with no memories so you could call that personality death since her character has faded from the story.

i said almost no one major. 1% counts. only one out of that list was a really main character, possibly two, and it's not a quibble at all with the other character, she's there until the very end of the story and gets a happy ending. that's not a death.

• Haha
Reactions: amalgamas

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
Still 3+ books away for me.
by that point I feel like Hobb was getting burnt out, it has its good parts and she caps off some parts from Liveships in a great way, but for the most part it's just kinda meh.

Also I think that was around the time when she started her multi-author coalition against fanfiction authors IIRC. :rofl:

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
no way, those were the best out of the bunch
he's wrong, hobb never got burnt out. rain wild chronicles is amazing. the last trilogy gets off to a slow start but the third book is the best single volume out of the entire set of series.
nope, not getting sucked into this.

let's just say that I strongly disagree with everything you say on this matter, let him read it himself and figure it out for himself.

K?

good.

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
you could tell brandon sanderson didn't find the spanking tasteful, that element was dropped so much after robert jordan died

Miesha Taint

May 6, 2006
What Sanderson books gave you read? I certainly have problems with some of them, just curious what you are basing your opinion on.
had to search my Kindle library for "Sanderson" cuz I couldn't remember

apparently I read the first chapter of the Stormlight and Mistborn series

they were lazily written and poorly edited imo

most of all, they both did bad job of introducing people and places

Last edited:
Reactions: Dylith

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonct